1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Project diva homemade controllers

Discussion in 'Tutorial Area - By users for users!' started by nofutur, Jul 20, 2016.

1. kmidst

kmidst Newbie Player

2. Doctopus

Doctopus Project Alpaca "BDFL"

Totally not something I'm currently working on.

lkp-assy-demo-assy.png

kmidst and steelpuxnastik like this.
  3. steelpuxnastik

steelpuxnastik SHINSANWASWITCH is ready and working!

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    https://www.instagram.com/jandevalua/
    By the way, I watched today Hatsune Miku Project DIVA MEGA39's (JP) - 60 Minute Playthrough [Switch]
    And I can see some veeeeery interesting and inspiring for me moments:
    1. Framerate - 60 FPS - Great
    2. Can be switched to dualshock buttons (cross, circle and so on..) that making game much easier on switch if you played before on playstation or arcade (for me, I remember 10 years ago I played on Xbox360 Fist or the north star Ken's rage and there was QTE where you need fast press different buttons and on xbox with letters it was totally unreal, but on Playstation - much better, especially after Project DIVA :))) )
    3. As result projects of existing homemade arcede controllers or even official arcade without global changes (I hope so, because I do not have switch now too :)) ) can be pluged to nintendo switch to play with familiar buttons.
    So now I really interested in this game too :)

kmidst likes this.
  4. Doctopus

#244 Doctopus, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    About the official slider mode (which I named it AR as in "Analog stick Remastered" btw), I have a good news and a bad news.

Good news is turns out the controller uses the 32-bit analog stick fields (LX, LY, RX and RY) as a bitfield that contains the binary touch states (either touched or not touched) for the slider, so this is as arcade-perfect as you can get.

Bad news is: this needs to be bit-perfect. Therefore to implement this, protocol-level access to analog stick data is still required. Simply emulating the stick via digital potentiometer will NOT work reliably and may result in very broken input.

So RIP B***k users for the third time.

(Also as of now this mode is still Japanese version only and there's absolutely no indication on whether or not it will be released internationally, so RIP international version players including myself as well)

erikchan002 and steelpuxnastik like this.
  5. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    Finally recorded some words about my attempts in making slider PCB with shock-content in the end :D
    Will be interesting to all who tries to make slider and tries to understand more about it and like me reading manuals about making sencetive panels - do not do it so hard :)) (like here and here)

erikchan002 likes this.
  6. Martouf

Martouf Welcome to DIVA!

#246 Martouf, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Hello,

I am making a controller for Future Tone, and i will use Sanwa OBSA-45UK-W (rectangle) for the slides buttons.
    But i wonder which leds can fit in. Do you have any idea ?
    Thanks.

steelpuxnastik likes this.
  7. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    I do not know how in OBSA, but basic chinese arcade button has such thing inside the button with (in my case) 12V LED. If you have the same - you can use LED as you want, may be 5V LED will be even more comfortable to use, but you'll need to think about power supply, because if you'll have many LEDs - standart PC USB supply will be not enouth, so in this case, may be, standart 12V LED will be better.
    DSC08472.JPG

8. cyberkevin

cyberkevin Intermediate Player

Okay, I like that, it seems like a good idea the way it's done.
    To be honest, for now I'm completely lost on from where to begin with in the slider creation to add it to my arcade controller...

Maybe with that in mind, someone can make a steps guide to make it more clear on what have to be done to use it actually ?
    I'll wait for this sort of information I guess, cause for now, I'm just seeing way too much way to do it to just give moneys and try ll of them.
    For example, I still don't get how each sensors will be connected to the Arduino, how it communicate tot he PS4, things like that... :/

I think this pad will not go anywhere else without a perfect vision of things, specially as Project Diva Arcade is dying slowly, and I feel like too much money in it will be the wasted... :/

9. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    Unfortunately, if you have no experience, and even no idea how and what to do, then mistakes and money loss are inevitable. You can watch my video about slider PCB above and you'll undertand that not only idea can be wrong, but result realization of idea too and it's all cost money, so you have no way, but to try something or do not try anything at all. Try and remake again, and again.

10. cyberkevin

That's for sure, but as a lot of peoples tried their own way, I prefer simply check what is the idea that everyone agree to be the best, specially now that the game have a mode dedicated to controllers that seems to help a lot.
    If my PCB had Joystick inputs, I think it could be way easier right now.
    Creating a Slider pad with a PCB that send correct inputs is now my main purpose, then after that I'll see the best way to change my main PCB I guess.

i'll check your video, I had no time to do it yesterday.

11. Doctopus

Some update: SEGA managed to screw up by omitting input buffering. So a short back swipe due to noise, hand lands on the sensor boundary, etc. will throw a wrong. This is not present on most other modes (includes stock arcade slider).

So no it's not 100% perfect unless SEGA fixes it at some point.

(There's a possible workaround on PS4 though. By mixing *RF and the dedicated mode, we can use the non-affected touchpad for direction-sensitive normal notes and switch to dedicated mode for non-sensitive chain slides. As for Switch, F)

12. RioKino

RioKino Welcome to DIVA!

Kicking myself for not buying direct from Hori and using a forwarding company for shipping. I ended up going with an import site. They took my money up front back in September. Radio silence for months. Emailed them earlier this week wondering what the status is. They say Hori cancelled their order, and are "trying to source the controller". LOL good f***ing luck with that. Hopefully I get a refund. It's not like they're gonna suddenly dig up controllers when they're going for $1700 on eBay.

I don't know what I'll do next. Building my own touch slider is a little too technical for my basic-b****, brook-board-using a**. I don't even know where to start with that.

Maybe buy a divaller if they're ever back in stock? or just bite the bullet and pay the exorbitant scalpers fee.

13. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    #253 steelpuxnastik, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    I would generally buy an official controller and I wouldn’t torment my ass with all these activities, but unfortunately, this is an unrealistic option for me for many reasons :)
    But again, I do not know what to say about "the best way" in creating controller, because I really do not see many ways, I do not know about them.The only way (I said about it earlier) - that was only was I could understand and it looked not so difficult and in some moments I even made it simplier (in case of LED for buttons schematics, originally more bulky system with multiple chips and multiple pins of Arduino used, but my friend suggested how to made it using 1 chip + without using one of pins of arduino, so it become much easier), made PCB for this with connectors and it become usable. But in other cases I do not know inderstandable variants at all, so that is why I talking to you about making even something because even in this way, when you see that you understand nearly everything - there will be a lot of pitfalls soon. I see you know others - show me, I really interested :)
    diva_kairo.jpg 385604d2-681b-4e8b-b805-d73ae478542b.jpg

In principle, you can even not watch it, why you need this shit :)))

erikchan002 likes this.
  14. Doctopus

F

15. cyberkevin

Well, actually I'm just completely lost to upgrade my controller...
    and the PDF all in Japanese don't help that much ^^'

Actually I just get how the sensors works, how they're connected, but nothing about how they're translated to the PS4/PC/Switch, the way to connect anything, there's really a feeling like "Yeah, I got it, but how to do it ?"
    (specially now that we have a new mode in-game to use)

Sometimes I search for some English clear informations, but every time I feel like there's some missing points...

16. correllroy

correllroy Newbie Player

For TOUCH SLIDER Panel. What best LED Light strips to buy? I googled and Binged and they shows and linked me to ULTRA Violet Studio lights (Oh Internet, I love and hate u at the same time). -_-

17. steelpuxnastik

useless piece of shit
    Home Page:
    #257 steelpuxnastik, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    May be first you need to make a list of requirements of what it should be able to do, but I think in practice LED stripe on WS2812B is one of the best and easiest variats, despite all its shortcomings. 60 LEDs/m.

correllroy likes this.
  18. correllroy

correllroy Newbie Player

Arigatou and yeah you make a good strong point.

19. Doctopus

There are strips that are higher density. I used 50cm of the 144pixel/m variant (so 72 LEDs). I also did a simple linear interpolation to make it not look like total crap due to the LEDs being misaligned with the sensors.

erikchan002 and correllroy like this.
  20. kmidst

kmidst Newbie Player

#260 kmidst, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Start to new controller!
    This will have buttons to play many rhythm games, including Project Diva, Musynx, all Osu! modes except standard and catch, Pianista, Muse Dash, etc....
    I left a 2x12" space uptop for a slider, if I can ever actually make one!
    The side panels will be 1.5" high and all buttons will be Crown 202's with the silver Cherry MX switches in them. Using the Brook UFB so I can connect to all modern consoles and PC.

Attached Files:

correllroy and steelpuxnastik like this.