1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Archived VocaDB Partnership... and Info Cards!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Suyo, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyo

Suyo Master of Unfortunate SAFEs
    Legendary Supporter

Website Maintenance, amateur Game Coder
    Home Page:
    http://www.greencouchgames.net
    Hello, people of the internet! As you might know, as a wiki, our goal is to bring as much information to you as possible - and if you are following us on Facebook, you might have already found out that we have been starting a partnership with a site which will help us a lot with that goal.

VocaDB.net is a site by riipah, and is a community site open to everybody who can contribute information. Their goal is to collect information on Vocaloid songs, their producers, artists and albums - a huge database of information which is very useful to every Vocaloid fan. If you read the post on our FB page, this partnership might not be news to you... but the author talked about us being interested in using their database, and today we'd like to show what we did.

Introducing: VocaDB Info Cards.

[vocadb]Unhappy Refrain[/vocadb]

These Info Cards are a quick way to give you the most important information on a song: It shows you who sings it, who made it, and which albums contain this song. And perhaps most importantly, the two buttons in the top right allow you to instantly listen to the song, and buy it, if you like it and want to support the creators.
    This feature is still in testing, since we don't know how well the filtering for the watching and buying links works. If you find that the links point to a different song, a cover, or a site where you can't even watch/buy it, please send me a PM and I'll work on it.

We will be retroactively adding these cards to our news posts and the Wiki pages, and you can also add them to your Edit Data topics if you want. The post below contains some information on how to use the cards for yourself.
    Obviously, some of our team will also be in action over at VocaDB in order to do some Project DIVA-releated things - for example setting up tags like this to quickly find collections of the game songs. Remember, if you have anything to contribute, please register at VocaDB and help out!
    Last but not least, I would like to give some special thanks to riipah for being very helpful and adding some new functions to the API just for us. Thanks for the great site, and thanks for the partnership offer!

2. Suyo

Legendary Supporter

Home Page:
    The VocaDB card is quite simple to use: use the [vocadb] tag, and add your song name.

[vocadb]Chicken Steak[/vocadb]
    [vocadb]Chicken Steak[/vocadb]

[vocadb]想イ出カケラ[/vocadb]
    [vocadb]想イ出カケラ[/vocadb]

Did you forget the entire song name? Write just a part, and VocaDB's search engine can take care of it:

[vocadb]end dancehall[/vocadb]
    [vocadb]end dancehall[/vocadb]

Does the text search fail, because there's another song with a similar name and it gets picked over the song you want? No problem, you can go to VocaDB, find the song, and use the song ID from the URL to get the info card:

[vocadb]19496[/vocadb]
    [vocadb]19496[/vocadb]

Cards are cached for a week - that means, if you change anything on VocaDB, it will take up to 7 days to reflect here. If you found an important mistake and need the card to be refreshed instantly, drop me a PM. Do the same if you run into any problems - after all, these cards are new, so if anything catches on fire, it's likely my fault, but I can also fix it.

3. digited

digited Welcome to DIVA!

Looks awesome!

p.s. there's also super-secret vocadb embed with player selection!

4. riipah

riipah VocaDB Administrator
    Website Partner

Software Developer
    Home Page:
    http://vocadb.net/Profile/riipah
    Quite impressive, looks good. I'm happy to see the information in our database being useful for other great Vocaloid sites, as it was intended.

I think you might want to consider limiting the number of albums to show, so you could avoid that scrollbar. Maybe show the first 3 albums and the total number of albums. You could also easily add translated names into tooltips, although I'm sure it's fine as it is.

I also want to thank the people here for the warm welcome.

5. Potatofriez

Potatofriez The Odds & Ends keeps a smiling face.

Student
    Oh god, I just typed up a huge post without seeing this... I'm gonna have to edit it in with the VocaDB stuff, aren't I? >_<
    Anyway, really cool addition and partnership!

6. Suyo

Legendary Supporter

Home Page:
    I didn't really want to limit albums, so I did something else. The scroll bar is now far more subtle and fits the ínfo card. I love jQuery.

In the future, I'd like to go back to this and clean up the code a bit, add some comments and make this open source. Right now, it's a mess, though. (Just like anything I code.)

7. infinity

infinity Little traveler

Where are the banners on both websites ? Work in progress ?

8. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    yep, WIP. already working on some stuff, will be finished later.

9. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    This might be a little far fetched but I think it would be a neat idea to implement this in the "Favourite Song: Choose your favourite song or PV from the Project DIVA Games" section in our Profile. So when someone sees our profile, they'll see the neat little card.
    [vocadb]16558[/vocadb]
    Again, it may or may not be difficult, as I haven't done much coding outside of Visual Basic, but it would be a neat place to stick this into.

10. infinity

infinity Little traveler

Warning !! this website is definitively not a safe place for my wallet ;)

Look !!

So many links to buy CDs, good job Riipah and the others members ;)

Attached Files:

11. riipah

Website Partner

Software Developer
    Home Page:
    Yeah, that works too, looks a lot better.

From the VocaDB side it's actually possible to list all songs in the PjD games, assuming they've been tagged properly (you can filter songs by tag, for example http://vocadb.net/Song?filter=tag:project_diva_f ). I have some ideas to make that more reliable (with locked tags). Also works with the API, so Suyo could make the forum use that. I don't know how hard it is to mod the forum side obviously, but Suyo probably does.

Edit: actually scratch that, since the tag also includes edit PVs. Well, could still filter by the compilation albums or something. Or of course the list could be pre-entered on the forum, but that seems like a lot of work since there are so many songs. A free-form field is bad because of duplicate song names...

Hard to resist? Ah, but it's good if you found albums worth buying. Sadly, not nearly all good albums can be bought overseas.

12. Suyo

Legendary Supporter

Home Page:
    I've already been working on it (see link in first post) - but yes, there is some problems. For example, the project_diva tag was just a bunch of loosely releated songs for the entire series. I created a new tag (project_diva_1st) to create a list of in-game songs only there.

13. riipah

Website Partner

Software Developer
    Home Page:
    The problem is that tags aren't meant to be absolute. They're sort of meta-information that could be anything. Tagging is intentionally easy, but also subjective and unreliable. You can't force people to use the proper tag, unfortunately. That's why I was thinking of allowing trusted users or staff members to lock tags, in which case the proper usage of those tags would be verified. Also got to remember that using the Project Diva F tag for edit PVs is completely correct, so there would need to be another tag for songs officially in the game. For songs you can also make song lists, but that doesn't work for albums or artists. If that's not enough, we need to figure out something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.