1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III Announcment

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Darksidehearts, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    [c]Well, I'm sure everyone knows about this by now but it was announced earlier that the third installment to the series will be release on the new Playstation 4.

So KH fans, what do you think of the news? Is this worth spending the money on the newer system? Are you disappointed that they didn't make it for the PS3? What do you personally expect to be changed with the game in terms of improvement and mechanics based on the previous games? I for one hope the magic mechanic is similar to what they did for Aqua in Birth by Sleep because that was actually fun. In the other KH games, I'd use magic only the first time I received a spell and then never bothered with it afterwords, except for healing. Also some more Anti-Form action would be nice. Personalization of keyblades would be an amazing feature, imagine making your own design and then battling with it in-game. Okay, that last one is a bit of a pipedream but it would be a nice addition, don't you think?[/c]

2. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

I dunno if it's worth spending the money on a new system just for this game, but I'm certainly not disappointed that it's on PS4. I'm rather glad they're moving away from PS3. It's getting up there in years and we've kinda hit the peak on what can be done with it. Bring on the 60 FPS 1080p Kingdom Hearts. I'm ready.

3. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

When I saw the trailer I almost started crying ;_;
    After all these years it's finally happning and I'm so happy!!
    About it being on the PS4, I'm not particularly mad. I was probably going to get the system anyway. The price isn't really too crazy, so it's not a huge deal I think. I just wish it had backwards compatability!

I'm really hoping the gameplay is more like Birth By Sleep. I didn't see a comand deck in the trailer, but I'm sure it was just a very rough outline of how the game will look.

4. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I'm not even a Kingdom Hearts fan, and this trailer blew me away. Games like this are getting me truly excited for a system I thought was going to end up being far below my expectations.

5. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I wouldn't get a new console for just one game, but including Final Fantasy XIII Versus... sorry, I mean Final Fantasy XV, it's worth it. I haven't shown any interest in the PS4 until now but I suspected as much. Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are the only game franchises I really follow and feel I can play properly (uh, besides Project Diva) so I of course need the next, and in Kingdom Hearts' case final, episode in two epic series.

But I feel that with the PS4 graphics, the FMV sequences in KHIII look... silly. Very silly with the cartoon style. But the gameplay looks amazing, something I've always hated in the previous games is the in-game graphics, but this... wow. I just hope it will actually look like that and haven't been that much enhanced just for the trailer. Though I must say I was more impressed by the trailer for FFXV, but that's not the game we're discussing :3

I'll definitely get it, maybe not as soon as it's released, but someday.

Also, they have now revealed it will be released for the Xbox One as well.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ahahaha, I didn't know there was a KH topic on these forums. Super excited for 3!! Very impressive graphics despite KH's more cartoony look!~
    Though, I still need to finish Dream Drop Distance ><; I wasn't amazingly impressed with that one. Hopefully KH3 will have a story that actually makes sense and can be understood. Here's hoping for some Pixar worlds!

Irritated to the max I don't get G4 for E3 :/ I'm having to constantly check online for any updates.

So far, I'm beginning to like XV more than I thought and might actually pick it up (kid Noctis completely adorable to anyone else?) But that constantly moving/bouncing camera may get old. I'll need to see a bit more before I decide.

Definitely would like a PS4 for KH3 and possibly FFXV, but now really want a Wii U for the new Super Smash Bros. Actually, I just want the new SSB, I'm not too fond of the Wii U's play style, but what am I gonna do?...

7. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

I only heard about the Xbox One when you mentioned it here Almeria, I didn't even know Microsoft was making a new system. I don't usually bother keeping up to date with any video game news unless it's something I'm particularly interested in either. I still haven't looked at the Playstation 4 and what they say it can do, my guess isn't much. I really want these companies to get back to focusing on putting out more games with deep stories and fun gameplay instead of worrying about what kind of features the system can do. All the pretty packaging means nothing to me if the games are terrible or too easy.

Aside from Sora's hair looking like rubber, the video is interesting. I kind of wonder if this sequence will still be in the final game or not, probably just for show only at the moment. If it is left in, what lead up to it and why the return to Twilight Town? Particular to note that they're making the Shadow Heartless able to climb walls, also it seems more aggressive than normal. It could be an interesting challenge to fight them now if they attack in swarms, before being not much of threat and just a simple annoyance. I thought they said for the third that they were going to go with a new lead character for a bit before finishing up Sora's story, or was that going to be a future game?

Graphics wise...well the PS2 was a great machine but I agree, it didn't produce that many great looking games unless it was something kind of simple like the Zone of the Enders series. Actually, Shadow of the Colossus was pretty magnificent. Limitations of the hardware made it difficult to pull off anything heavily impressive but it worked well for the time. Personally I would have loved to see some KH entry on the PS3 but if this means more can be done in this game with better hardware then I'm all for it, same for the Xbox. Now I've said before, that I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I'm probably one of the only people I know who enjoys VIII and X-2. I've played others but those two are the ones I've enjoyed playing again and again all the way through. I did get XIII for the Xbox but I haven't played it yet. I might take a look at Versus because people are raving about it. As long as Squall gets more than a few cutscenes in this game, then I'll be happy. Also bring in Rinoa for goodness sake!

The KH story isn't too difficult to understand but it is something that can get complicated if you don't play things more than once. Hmm...let's see, the Playstation 3 came out in 2006 for the NA side of the world. I finally got one this past Christmas so...I'd say in about another six years when we're talking about the next Project Diva Game with a holographic Vocaloid dancing on your table if you succeed or shutting your system off if you get one SAFE in a song, I should finally have it in time for the next one to come out and then I'll pull out my hair yelling "Why?!??!"

8. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    ...You hadn't even heard of Xbox One? I've heard lots about it and I don't think I've ever seen an Xbox in real life. I have zero interest in it but I've heard people bashing it a lot.

I'm a big Final Fantasy fan, but yes, you're probably one of the few who like those games. My favourites are IX, X and VII. But uh, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, why would Squall and Rinoa be in Versus/XV? It's a completely new game, it will likely have no previous characters besides possible moogles/chocobos.

I also agree I haven't had my PS3 very long and I don't feel done with it, I will keep it around for quite a while until Project Diva is released for PS4 :P

9. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Erm, I meant to say that I hope they appear in KHIII. I know Squall will be in it but I'm hoping Rinoa will finally make an appearance. Sorry, I should have made that more clear when I was writing. What can I say, I'm an idiot XD

Now as the for Xbox One...well like I said, I only focus on something I'm interested in. I have an Xbox 360 and enjoyed the games I bought for it but wasn't too thrilled to keep playing with it after a year, despite saving money for 3 years T~T

Eventually I started using it just as device to run Netflix on. Once I finally got the PS3, I put the Xbox away for storage. So I've not paid one bit of attention to new games or system news for the Xbox. I had literally no knowledge of what either of the newer systems could do or what was going to be offered for them before this thread.

*Don't feel bad for the Xbox, it's in with good company. I imagined the conversation that morning when I opened the closet to put it away.

Wii: "Hey there Trevor, are you going to plug me into the TV now, because you said you'd be back and it's been three years?
    Me: "Uh...sure...let me put this other system down and I'll get back to you after lunch okay?"

-Four hours later-

Wii: "He'll be back"
    Xbox 360, N64, Gamecube, Playstation & Sega Genesis : "Buddy...we've got something to tell you..."

10. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    I really want to get the PS4 but not for one game (thank god the announced lineup isn't too bad, a LOT of the games besides KHIII look nice). Like you guys, I haven't had my PS3 for even half a year and now they announce a new system? I'm really sloowwwwww. I honestly thought they would've put KHIII on the PS3 since 1.5 (which I'm not really fond of) just came out, I thought they were gonna pull a leading-up-to moment with it. They still technically did, but we have to buy an entirely new system for it (dammit, so close...).

On a side note (note: I'm not the kind of person to watch ENTIRE E3 vids so I look online for summaries), I heard somewhere that KHIII will also be on the XBOX ONE, is this true? Not that there's a problem with that, there are some people who are freaking out about that though, "KINGDOM HEARTS! WHY DID YOU JOIN THE DARKSIDE!?!?!" I would actually like the games to be on more than one system instead of making us buy a DS for one game, a gameboy for another (at its time), a 3DS for yet another one. So if you don't own a PS3 in the future and your parents got you the XBOX ONE, then you're set to still enjoy it!

And one more thing about the trailer, kill me if you must but I don't think that that's ACTUAL gameplay, it just looks like a prerendered vid to look like it with a HUD stamped on it.

11. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Oh it probably is just rendered for the sake of demonstration but it would be interesting to see if they leave it in the game or not. Perhaps as a cutscene or something.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I loved X-2 (it was my very first FF after seeing a Rikku figure at Gamestop :D) I also really loved XII, but I know those fans are few and far between ._.; Beat IX the other day, and that's definitely one of my faves, if not my favorite (I just...really liked XII).

Hoping they don't throw in another KH character for a story. I just wanna know what happens in the main storyline they began with, but Roxas is free to appear any time he wants. I would, however, welcome any FF characters they wanna throw in there for fun, I always enjoy that.

For now I'll be tucking away the thought of KH 3 since who knows when it will actually happen. It's "happening" buuuuut yeah. Really excited, though.

13. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Hmmm...you have a point there, they never said this was going to be a launch title, only that it will be on the PS4. It would be funny if it landed on the Xbox one before it did the PS4 despite the announcement, though I'm sure Sony would want this out as soon as possible seeing as it's one of the games that drew in more public interest for the unit...then again, that would imply that Sony actually listens to the customers XD

14. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

I'm not expecting it out until maybe the beginning of 2015. Especially after reading this.
    They've been doing pretty good with the "one game a year" plan, and it's pretty safe to say that the 2.5 HD remix will be out in 2014.