1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch (Competitive Player’s edition)

Discussion in 'General' started by Zac Wood, Mar 20, 2018.

?

Can it work for competitive players?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zac Wood

Zac Wood Staff/Fortune Teller/Lucky Guesser/Spam Buster
    Staff Member Moderator

Family buisness, a Family matter.
    Unlike my post before, I will not talk any further of my “Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Zero” ambitions. I just figured competetive players can disscuss about how the Nintendo Switch could better suit to tournaments/competitions. It came after seeing Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection’s “Super Street Fighter II: The Tournament Battle” exclusive for the Nintendo Switch release of the game. Seeing how much the console is more friendly for local competion, let’s talk about it! (Say what you will about the online, or lack there of right now.)

If you want to know more about this mythical “Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Zero” I dream of, and hone to this day, I’ll leave a link later.

2. ajs2677

ajs2677 Newbie Player

I like the idea of competitive multiplayer. I have a hard time getting people into Future Tone because it is such a single player experience. Other rhythm games tend to go over better with my friends when we can compete or cooperate (not sure how co-op would work), even if just for fun. The addition of a score or completion challenge mode to play simultaneously with others would definitely be a big hit with my group.

And since you're focused on the Switch, this would be very doable by having each player in handheld mode. That way you could also have your macros and arrow designs etc. set up the way you want them without forcing the other player to do the same. Both players hit play, the units sync (maybe a 3 second countdown) and then you're both off. Maybe you could even see your score AND their score (or completion percentage) in the upper corners or something like that.

3. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

Don’t forget single Joy-Con controls. Songs may require their own charts per difficulty for those controllers, but it’s convienient for those quick set ups in Tabletop Mode or TV Mode. (That was an idea from that dream game of mine.)

4. kaibaswaifu

kaibaswaifu ☆ miku miku ni shite ageru ☆

student
    That'd definitely be interesting. Something like the new taiko game comes to mind, where as in ranked, each player takes one half of the screen and plays the beatmap at the same time. Although, I'm not too sure how that'd work considering PVs

5. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#5 Zac Wood, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    In a matter of fact; I too wondered how that would work for the two years of that “Project DIVA Zero” concept I been obsessed about. These were my results.

• The HUD be different; but the charts won’t change​
    • Charts come in two modes: Classic for two Joy-Con and a Pro Controller. Basic for single Joy-Con. Thus as a consiquence icons will change varing on the controller(s) used.
    • Players can just compete using two systems in Handheld Mode and TV Mode locally or online (thank ajs2677 for that idea), or one system in Tabletop Mode. Tournaments can also work with a team of two against 1 or 7 other teams locally with a max 16-32 teams online in a tournament at once, like what is happening with the Switch version of Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection. 155B7ADA-A2FE-4387-B073-6309A7E1C33F.png F431716C-D96C-4AE5-A675-88E69C2C3E8D.png 386BB3EA-F119-4680-AE01-E7A2FCD8F48D.png 3C99D299-4E2B-47CA-B180-4A969344BD35.png F5B53C7C-FC6A-441D-800F-92B2D498516D.png

As you can see; I am more focused on the pick-up-and-play nature of the Switch Console and applying that to appeal to the people who often try to plan/compete in tournaments in the most inconvenient ways possible, making it easier for them in the long run.

6. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

If you want to know where my some of crazy ideas for Project DIVA multiplayer stem from; here’s where I got inspired:

• Project Dxxx; a online multiplayer fangame (coincidentally; I just found out about the game’s existance)

• Competitive Project DIVA legend hikosee; and his score attack rules on a chart-by-chart basis in Future Tone (again; something I realized just by the name “Score Attack”)

• Soap-P and the clunky, footage-based-rank rules of the Project Zutto 39 tournaments. (That being where the idea for tournaments came from)

• SEGA themselves with hosting conventional head-to-head tournaments in places like AnimeExpo and TGS. (where one might argue the idea of having head-to-head multiplayer on a single screen and console having merit; especially in the case of the Switch)

• Mario Kart, Mario Party, Dance Dance Reveloution, & the Super Smash Bros. series (in short; DDR is in a way the only rhythm game experience with a multiplayer competive scene, and Mario Kart & Party with Smash being just robust, as is fun; I would try to emulate those experiences within Project DIVA if given the opportunity and make it flexable to all scenarios imaginable)