1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Archived Fake account registrations after the 15th November 2012

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MikuHatsune, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    Hello community!

Unfortunately we had to delete all new registered accounts on this forums which were created after the 15th November 2012 and had 0 forum posts due to the suspicion of bot using. If you were a REAL member and wanted to register, please reregister.
    As an action about this, we also changed the registration questions (Q&A captcha) a bit, deleted the old questions and created new ones. If this will happen again, we'll have to change our captcha method to the "Simple Image" or Google's "reCaptcha" method to prevent new fake registrations.
    Also, I activated the "anti-zombie-account" feature, which means if an accounts exist for longer than 1 year with 0 forum posts the account will be deleted automatically to keep the database a bit clean. This won't affect accounts which are inactive for 1 year with 1 or more forum posts.

We're sorry about this.

2. kaiki

kaiki Sweet-Tooth Gamer

Lab assistant
    O.o"" fake accounts......?

How did it exist anyway...? (wasn't good in those sort of things)

3. Siki

Siki Shiawase desu ka? Gimu desu yo!

Living the life with happiness and joy:) :D ;)
    Home Page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TokyoSikio
    Did the Vocaloid accounts counted as fakes?

4. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    I wouldn't think so because if it's something that the admin set up for the forum then it's under their control I assume?
    - - - -

Well from my recollection of the time I set up a forum years ago, certain bots *google in my case* often send out scripted false registrations thus creating new accounts. The main point of it is to make it look like your forum is really active and help get real people to join based on the idea that it "looks" like many people are signing up but in reality it's very annoying and you'll spend most of your day deleting members that do not exist. Also it tends to make your forum/site look worse because of the torrent of new members that never actually post anything. Now don't quote me on this as it's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since I had to deal with that problem and things might be vastly different today.

5. Suyo

Suyo Master of Unfortunate SAFEs
    Legendary Supporter

Website Maintenance, amateur Game Coder
    Home Page:
    http://www.greencouchgames.net
    It's just spambots, coded to post advertising messages for various, often illegal, services. 100% of them are being blocked, the only ones who get through are broken bots who forget to advertise a real link, or so-called "sleepers", who post a single, generic message like "I really like this topic", then wait a week and lauch their attack.

If you see any suspicious posts, often in foreign languages and in the wrong forum, do not reply, and use the report button!

6. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    In the last days we had 300+ new members, about every 10 mins we got a new one. Almost all of them were registered with a *@gmail.com or *.ru mail adress, the usernames seemed really random, some included words like "D3Gold" or "buydrugs" or something, but the most ones were completely "generated". (See picture below)
    All of these accounts had 0 forum posts. Also about additional 100 new accounts were still inactive.
    To prevent a spam attack I took those steps. And it seems that it has stopped for now. Anyways, if one of these accounts were a REAL new member, this person should feel free to register again.

The reason why i changed the question which are shown at the registration form is because it seems the ones who created the fake accounts already know the answers and added them to their whitelist. They just had to add "hatsune", "miku", "vocaloid" and "sega".. so I deleted the 4 questions and created 3 new ones. If these 3 questions get also bypassed, I'll have to ask Suyo what we can do or which method we'll choose for the registration in future.

Here's the picture which shows the ONE entry of the Admin log where I pruned all the affected accounts (Click for fullsize):

Attached Files:

7. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    Hopefully that will be enough for now, 300 eh? I kept running into issues with the 2000+ variety, security has come quite a way since then. I sound like I'm aging myself again but it was only 5 years ago lol.

8. kaiki

kaiki Sweet-Tooth Gamer

Lab assistant
    =.=;;; it sounds really terrible..... those spams......

=D and thanks for the explantions! I think i got some idea what it really was..... and all i could say it's really unhealthy and irriating.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.