1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

[DS] Shiny Hunter Extraordinaire! ...not really

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Darksidehearts, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    A couple of nights ago while I was playing Pokemon Platinum I caught a shiny Shinx. So it's official, at this point I've caught at least one shiny for every Pokemon game I've owned since Generation II. I only wish that I had a spare Premier Ball to catch it, instead I had to settle for a standard Pokeball. Oh well, I'm happy and that's all that matters. ^_^

[​IMG]

Any-who here's the crux of my dilemma, should I just train her like normal or go about EV training? I usually EV train if I plan to have a Pokemon for a long term period, like if I were going to perhaps use it in Wifi battles or competitions in the future. The only hiccup is that she has the ability rivalry, I usually like the edge you get with intimidate as it cuts down your opponents attack when entering battle. Rivalry is kind of a situational ability but it "might" be useful, what it does is raise your Pokemon's attack stat if your fighting an opponent with the exact same gender. Her nature is Gentle which reduces defense to increase special defense, so it isn't exactly helpful but at least it's not harmful either.

To be honest I'm thinking of just normally training her because I want to have her in the game from start to end however I would like your input on this.

2. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    I played all games and all I got besides the red Gyarados was a blue Psyduck, a silver Zubat and the three event shinys Suicune, Raikou and Entei.
    Also I got a japanese Leafeon with PokéRus status from trading.

3. Kaon

Kaon シュープリーム

So you're deciding to take it regardless? It's not complete without the right nature and IV that relies heavily in competitive battling. In the end, it's for you to decide. Personally I favor EV training because it boosts performance with the right stats you want. Other than that, I'm just a silly perfectionist. ;P

The only other different colored Pokemon I caught besides Red Gyarados is a "golden" Goldeen on my Soul Silver. Not planning on training it or evolving it however. :\

4. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Here's a list from what I can recollect

Gold - Shiny Nidoran Female via wild encounter
    Silver - Shiny Bellsprout via wild encounter
    Ruby - Shiny Poochyena via wild encounter
    HeartGold - Shiny Sentret via wild encounter
    White - Shiny Audino via wild encounter
    Platinum - Shiny Shinx via wild encounter

Any other one I have is either from an event or breeding.
    - - - -

Well I've been debating this in my head quite a bit, I've always wanted to have a shiny on my teams over the years and not just as a trophy catch. However I might be cutting off my nose to spite my face if I just go about training it normally for the sake of having it in the game when she could benefit far more with the proper training. The problem is that without a cheating device you don't have any real control over natures and IV's with a shiny. Plus the rarity of a wild encounter and even controlled breeding with an Everstone won't always yield the desired results. This Shinx in particular is not the most ideal one for EV training but I'll work with what I have.

One of the only reasons I would not train someone via EV training, would be if your not going to get the optimal result out of what your doing because of poorly matching specs. However I like EV training because it does showcase a Pokemon's best desired stats even if it's initial specs aren't that great because you can kind of mold it for what you want in some capacity. In terms of competition, I would always go in with a EV trained one but I can't say the same with taking on a gym battle. Thus far she's been the party but has yet to see battle but I think I'm going to take the EV training route here, I was feeling like that from the start but was hesitant.

5. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    oh when i was playing pokemon ruby (i got it way after i completed sapphire and emerald) i encountered a shiny zigzagoon in the FIRST battle (the one you fight to resque the prof.). i threw the game away and never played it again :T

6. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Ouch, that must have been awful. I didn't think that could happen in those scripted battles.

7. Nekof

Nekof Big Debut

I remember when I was young I used to think that shiny pokemon are not special that's why I just ignore them when I encounter one. I regret that time of my Life.......

8. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

If I remember back in the day for generation II, Shiny Pokemon were different besides the color by having altered stats. It was coding in order to give them the shiny coloring. However since generation III and onward all shiny Pokemon are the same as any other with the exception of being rare and unique. However in general you do get a rush when you finally catch one.