1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Directional Hold Notes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Darksidehearts, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    One thing I've kind of been pondering about in my head in the last few minutes while I was editing a video for my channel, how come there is no directional hold notes? Not that I want an excuse for them to make another hold note but I have been wondering about that. What do you people think?

2. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Probably the same reason there weren't directional buttons in the original Project Diva. I'm assuming that just didn't feel it necessary at the time, but may potentially add them it later. Just my conjecture, though.

3. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    Woah dude, we got these notes you have to press two buttons for, now you want us to hold them? That's much to ask mannnnnnn.

jkjkjkjkjk

I don't think these will be implemented though, at least anytime soon. It was hard enough to learn how to use the directional buttons (who would've guessed at first glance you have to use two buttons for those) so something like that would just be too much for new players. The first Project Diva game was a game anyone could pick up and play, but with things like star notes and directionals, the game doesn't have that easy learning curve anymore. I also believe I read something on SEGA trying to fix this curve (not doing the beeeesst job buuttttt they are trying, like using triangles now too in normal mode).

4. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I also believe it would be a bit too hard to hold two buttons down at the same time and if you already didn't press them exactly simultaneously it'll be even more difficult to hold on. I can't see this getting into any game in the future (I hope). Unless you mean you hold with only the directional pad which I also disagree with. Since I use both hands to play with I know for a fact that it's not s easy holding the directional pad as the normal face buttons (or that's just my controller xD), this is the case on the PS3. I like the fact that you can use whichever hand you like and only being able to use one of the sides of the controller isn't very optimal.

5. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I don't know, I could see it being implemented potentially. I don't think it's terribly likely, but considering they added the star notes, a held directional note doesn't seem impossible.

EDIT: Fixed my grammar

6. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    Hmm...perhaps it would be a bit much to hold the two buttons, you have a point there Almeria. I already hate hold notes as is, so adding one more to the mix certainly won't make me love them >_<

I'm already envisioning a nightmare here, I'm wondering why I brought up the question in the first place. T~T

Please, if someone on here secretly works for Sega, please don't read this. I'm a fool and don't know what I'm talking about. Buuuut, if you want to make the Arcade international, then that would be nice ^_^

7. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Pshhhh... The more complicated the better! I want more of a challenge ^_^

EDIT: I'm apparently incapable of not typing typos...

8. Dyspnia

University Student
    Oh shiz, everyone, HE'S ONTO USSSSS! EVERYONE! TAKE THE OPPOSITE OF HIS IDEAS AND RUN!

9. Maakun

Maakun Intermediate Player

Technical Support Representative
    Depends on who's playing I guess. W is the universal symbol for together in Japan, just like Wデート means double date

I think making it just the direction would make it easier, but then that would really mess people up when mixed with the normal direction buttons that have to be pressed with the face buttons...or add just directional arrows and hold arrows to make it even more complicated.

10. Julian

Julian wowaka fan

I wish there were less hold notes. I think most people prefer the original version of Popipo. The diva f one made it annoying with hold notes. I just don't enjoy them at all.

11. Dyspnia

University Student
    What about with us westerners who look at it like an ordinary W, especially since we are now learning it's coming to us *cheer* there really wouldn't be a way to change the W symbol to something that means together (maybe they could put the symbol of the corresponding button inside the arrow, but thattt might look too similar and get some confused horribly). And yeahhhh, someone could just play the tutorial, but that's 5 minutes long and too much explanation and quick new players will get bored. I would love for friends to play the game and get interested, but they never do due to them getting too much to learn at once.

12. Maakun

you answered your own question, if you import a game there will always be some complications. I guess we'll find out on June 11th if they change it at all for the Western release...but on the same point again, a game made in Japan is directed towards a Japanese audience so it's up to the localization team to make appropriate changes. SEGA knows the type of people who will buy this game so I doubt it will be changed.

13. Dyspnia

University Student
    I ment to answer my own question if you want to put it that way xD I was trying to get my point across that like you said, it would be difficult. Speaking of though, I am supperrr curious as to what SEGA might change in the translation to westernize the game a bit, besides translating menus and stuff of course xD This is really far fetched but maybe they might release some English DLC songs with some of the Vocaloids' new English VBs like KAITO, Beta Miku, maybe some more Luka, and (if us MEIKO fans are lucky enough) some Beta MEIKO.
    Okokokokok sorry I got off topic but it got me thinking.

14. Maakun

I actually don't find the tutorial too bad. My friends see me playing the game and are incredibly intimidated because I play on Extreme but then they play the tutorial and are so happy that they passed it (the rare time they might not...what can I say, many girls don't have rhythm :P) Most of them will find Easy TOO Easy and move onto Normal and stop there.

For the western release I think a + sign instead of W might be more appropriate?

15. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I think I can say with pretty certain confidence that we won't be seeing too many drastic changes in this localization (particularly due to the nature of it). According to a certain someone (who will go unmentioned), there is a possibility of some additional content in the future, but at release there isn't going to be anything past what is already in-game in terms of content. As was stated, Sega knows the audience they are targeting.

16. Dyspnia

University Student
    That wouldn't be too bad of an idea! ^^ I could see something like that happening

Well when you think about it, if they ONLY try to aim at that supposed target audience, then the sales wouldn't be as high as they could be. I believe that if they were to make more identifiable changes to attract non-PD fans in the localization, this would help that. SEGA isn't going to just aim at a target audience only, it's like when you get into something you've never even heard of or you thought was stupid (that's how I've gotten into things like Corpse Party, SGT Frog, and even Vocaloid for that matter).
    And as for the unmentioned someone, is there a reason this person is unmentioned? (or maybe I'm just missing some basic fact I should be knowing that everybody else does)

17. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Yes, because he was relaying information to me via a Sony representative that he wasn't supposed to know himself, much less tell anyone else.