1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Any [Any] ppsspp

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Darksidehearts, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    [c]ppsspp
    I am sure some of you have heard of this program but, for those who have not: ppsspp is a Playstation Portable emulator that you can use on many different platforms. It is not compatible with every PSP game yet but it is pretty good and runs on lower end computers as well. I have been experimenting with it a bit on and off, and while I do like it, there are some issues that need to be addressed or at least noted.[/c]

[c][/c]

Pros:
    - Does not require a lot of complicated setup
    - It is customizable to fit your computers needs, as long as you know what it needs
    - Fast, does not take nearly as long as other emulators to load a game
    - Not very CPU intensive
    - Small file size and can be placed anywhere on the computer
    - Features include anti-aliasing and other resolution customization options
    - Cheats and such are easily enabled within the program
    - Like many others, it is free
    - This application is available on select mobile devices and many computer operating systems

Cons:
    - Not compatible with any USB controllers other than an Xbox 360 controller
    - Default application does not allow you to remap the controls
    - If you do not understand how your computer runs, settings may make things far worse than better
    - Slight delay in control response
    - Has trouble exiting from full-screen mode, tends to...not exit from full-screen mode
    - Within full-screen mode, do not Alt-Tab as it will not switch the view to the next screen you selected
    - Default application does not describe what the controls are

One of the issues I had was the fact that this application was only compatible with the Xbox360 controller. I understand that most modern day PC's with windows installed have built-in compatibility for that controller and so it is easier to just code that into the program. However I personally cannot stand when people do that and offer no other options of using controllers or devices you already own. So as you'll see in the video I had to use a program called Xpadder in order to use my Logitech controller. I also use my PSP as a controller with Fusa Gamepad quite a bit but I have been wanting to find a real use for this controller since I bought it over eight years ago.

Learning the mapping of the keys cannot be done by the default application download listed at the top of the page, I used v0.8.1-1297-gabc247c which added the ability to change the controls.

When playing sometimes you'll run into control issues. I do not know if this is an issue with the application or my controller not being read correctly. I do feel it is good application despite those issues and you should definitely give it a try when you have a moment. Keep in mind that emulation is not a precise science and no emulator runs the software exactly like the original machine.

You can get the program and learn more about it here: http://www.ppsspp.org/index.html
    - - - -

I do not know if I will keep playing the game like this but it was fun to be able to enjoy for at least one night. Also I just noticed, I had my headset on in Bandicam. Yeesh, thankfully I didn't talk while playing. As a final note, I know my grammar here is severely broken but I am very tired right now. I stayed up all night playing the game. What can I say, it is very fun to get back in a PD game once again >_<

I will fix this later when I wake up...maybe :3

2. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    Oh joy, PPSSPP! I've been using this on both my PC and my Toshiba Thrive ever since my last PSP broke (although, 2PSP stopped working a couple weeks ago as I was working on the list for the glitched up DLCs viewtopic.php?f=32&t=698).

And about the whole controller thing, I bet that, possibly in the future, they'll allow other controllers to be used. (I know nothing about programs and I can never understand all the X.X.X release thingies but,) I think that 2PSP is still being worked on as it's fairly new so something like this is understandable I think.

And on a smaller note, I feel like there should be a disclaimer in your post or something quickly explaining that this should not be used for pirated games. Idk, I know it's something that's kind of EXPECTED by everyone in this forum but just a little thought. It's something I see in a lot of emulator link posts.

OH! One last thing! I would love to know what you used to record your gameplay! Whenever I get PPSSPP running again, I want to start doing Custom DLC vids again but I can never find the right recording program to use, they all just lag my compy.

3. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

In all honesty I was really surprised at how well this actually runs. I have used other PSP emulators in the past but none have run this smoothly.

Also you're right, I forgot to mention that you should always use your own personal backups of PSP games you legally own. I was really tired that night from playing PD2nd all over again :P

Actually, I forgot to mention a few things now that I think about it XD

The program I used to record this video is called Bandicam. Unfortunately it tends to get a lot of hate by many people but, I love it. I can cater it to my needs and have been a fan for quite some time. One thing to know about me, I am a huge fan of personal customization ^_^

I just saw the video I uploaded and it did not skip like that while I was recording. The final encoded video doesn't skip either. I think Youtube is being silly again.

Side note: Fraps seemed to have some issue with frame skipping and screen tearing.

4. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    PPSSPP is also available as app for jailbreaked iOS devices or rooted Android devices.
    It's fun to play PJD on my iPad while sitting in the bus.

5. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Awesome! That is why I like applications like these. They allow more people to enjoy the PD games regardless of what device they use.

6. BaseNumbers

BaseNumbers Not初音ミク

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/6114JN/
    Android devices do not have to be rooted, it's in the Play Store. Though I'm speaking for the US so devices on other countries might have to be rooted?

7. Otase

Otase Advanced Player

After testing it for curiosity only (as i own a psp already)
    On PC it gives unknown virtual page error (saying its out virtual page memory) while i have an 8gb (tons of ram were free lol)
    virtual memory page had 2048mb (which should have been more than enough) totaly clueless why it happens and didnt care anyways.

As for performance it can skip frames on some games animations like SRW OE (slower on menus and animations like dropping to 28fps instead of 60)
    using default settings on it with an intel core i5 2430M (2.4ghz) Radeon HD 6650M (2gb vram) also didnt bother downloading codec plugin they mentioned
    conclusion: still a bit cpu intensive & yet too buggy