1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

IT'S HAPPENING: PDF coming to the West

Discussion in 'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA ƒ & Project DIVA F' started by Suyo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. GRSonic

GRSonic Welcome to DIVA!

Probably because SEGA US/EU thought that "Hey, this reminds us of "Parappa the Rapper"! Let's change Fine, Sad & Worst to Good, Bad & Awful."

[​IMG]

2. Suyo

Suyo Master of Unfortunate SAFEs
    Legendary Supporter

Website Maintenance, amateur Game Coder
    Home Page:
    http://www.greencouchgames.net
    Nice catch! I personally just thought that the new labels feel more natural, I would say that any english speaker would pick WORST over AWFUL.

European demo is out NOW! The game itself is still on English, but the Software Manual which comes with the game (and can be read by going to the XMB during the game) is translated to your language.

3. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

Not sure what region you're in, but here's the US store link:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... 3PRPRTRIAL

If you're EU, it should be up today.

4. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I just tried the European demo so it's definitely there. I couldn't resist trying to get the different scores, at least MisxTake and Cheap, which they changed to DropxOut and uh, my memory is bad. It was changed at least. I didn't get a Great or Standard but I'm guessing they're the same. I paid attention to the lyrics too and noticed that the English words in the text usually written in katakana are capitalised in correct English. It wasn't very nice of them not to separate a lot of words which may be correct in Japanese but isn't helping English speakers who want to sing the lyrics and can easily confuse and make one go "are Japanese words really that long and difficult?". I know some Japanese but a lot of people don't.

But yeah, interesting to see everything translated and actually understand what it says even though we've learned it the hard way a long time ago, it just feels like such a relief ^^

5. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    Just out of curiosity, looking at the rating on PDF for the US, it's understandable why it's rated T (the English equivalent to the Japanese C rating) for sexual themes (ex: Eh? Ah, Sou.) but what parts of the game are they talking about when saying "Use of alcohol and tobacco" and "violence?" I don't really remember either of these things in the game (or maybe there is something I know but am just not remembering right now). When are these in the games? (Maybe Tokyo Teddy Bear where Rin gets stabbed by a needle for violence if that makes sense but that's really not too bad.)

6. Toadsili_T

Toadsili_T Newbie Player

Those two Ranks were changed to DROP X OUT and LOUSY, respectively. The other ranks (or grades, since notes are measured in Grade Points now), were left unchanged. Most notable to me, however, was changing the Confirm Button from "Circle" to "X". On one hand, this makes a hella lot of sense as it maintains consistency with the XMB controls, but for PDA purists like myself that are used to Circle, it's a little annoying switching back again. Everyone else won't care. :P

As for the note ranks, most people won't really care about the differences; they're certainly serviceable and make a little more sense; but again, I'm so used to the originals. D: Was it just me who thought that "COOL" and "GOOD" were a little hard to distinguish via indirect vision though? The styling and shape of the two words seems kinda similar when you're concentrating more on the note timings, making it personally harder to correct my timing on the fly if I'm falling into a "FINE/GOOD" combo.

The Alcohol and Tobacco use might stem from some of the artwork CGs and DIVA Room items; at the very least, I know there's a few CGs where Meiko has Sake in her hands, and there is a Sake item you can buy for the DIVA rooms too.

Also, I would have though RIn-chan now was a better example of sexual themes. "Emphasis on FLAT CHEST" and pixiv/R-18 material, anyone? :P

7. Dyspnia

University Student
    Being a MEIKO fan, I can't believe that I forgot this xD
    Same with the R-18 Pixiv thing, that's one of my favorite PD moments xD
    It's not like I doooooooooo that sorrrrrrrta thiiiiiiiiiing tooooo or anyyythiiiiiiiiiiiing...
    Now that I think about it as a side note, imagine walking into Gamestop or Walmart, not knowing about the series, and seeing this game with it's cutsy, fun colored, happy cover, then looking at it's back and see that Violence, Sexual Themes, and Alcohol use is in this game xD It feels a little out of place.

8. Kyrika

Kyrika Advanced Player

In Ashes to Ashes, clearing chance time, Kaito technically dies, and bleeds out, though it's blue >.> It's still oh so violent! D:

9. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    US rating (ESRB) English Version: T
    EU rating (PEGI) English Version: 12
    German rating (USK) English Version: 12
    German rating (USK) Japanese Version: 16

Dafuq?

10. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Man, I just realized after playing the demo that I kind of prefer the original Japanese ;-;

11. Ongaku_no_tenshi

Ongaku_no_tenshi Big Debut

Glad I'm not the only. It was kind of weird at first, but by the end of the three demo songs, this this thought began to occur to me, as well.

12. dorothy3242

dorothy3242 Advanced Player

W-what???
    but MissxTake was really clever and CHEAP made me feel like I was actually helping the vocaloids perform and the audience is going "BOO THIS IS CHEAP" I wonder why they changed it? Unlike the note ranks these weren't really awkward in proper English at all...

13. Dyspnia

University Student
    Maybe the English Version will have some sort of censorship which causes the USK rating lowered? I'm not sure how the... uhm... "Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle" system works (that is a VERY hard word for me).

14. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

Err... what? How so? The minor tweaks to how well you do on notes/songs are bothering you that much?

15. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Yeah, they are. I can't really explain it, and it probably seems (and perhaps IS) irrational, but the English use with the Vocaloid "culture", if you will, introduces what I would call "cognitive dissonance". There's just something about it that feels like it doesn't match up, and I can't quite put my finger on it. After having played through the demo a bit now, it's actually to the point of not making me want the localized version anymore...

EDIT: I should clarify that it isn't just the tweaks to "fine" and "cheap", etc., but the entire translation.

16. CeroXcution

CeroXcution Welcome to DIVA!

17. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    Seems that way so far with some outlets offering to pre-order the game. That was the date that was given when it was first announced. Gamestop for some reason has it for the end of December
    [​IMG]

It stinks that Europe will only be able to purchase the downloadable version from the PSN, everyone should be able to get the same options all around in my opinion. Now that I think about it, I wonder what they'll do for pre-order items, I bet it'll be nothing.

18. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

But that's what I don't understand. What translation? Everything is just romanized. Titles and lyrics are still in Japanese.

19. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

Yeah, I know. Someone got mad at me for this the other day.

After playing the game so long in Japanese, it's just strange to navigate it in English. Perhaps it is because I am learning Japanese (I plan to eventually teach English in Japan), but the game just seems odd to me in English. Now that I've seen both side-by-side, I definitely prefer the Japanese interface.

20. infinity

infinity Little traveler

Interesting at 7:38 "even within sega, it was a hard decision", about the west release of the game.

SERIOUSLY ? A hard decision, come on...