1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Midi Controller Usable?

Discussion in 'General' started by kmidst, Feb 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kmidst

kmidst Newbie Player

2. kmidst

kmidst Newbie Player

Gotta reply to my own thread because I just found this seemingly incredible device: https://sensel.com/collections/all

This is a trackpad that you can design custom overlays for to accomplish all sorts of things like gaming, music, video editing, etc. Imagine the possibility for PD and other rhythm games....
    I'm 100% sure this does keyboard presses, and I believe it could do something like Xinput because there is a gaming overlay in that link. And then the slider...Well that's the question. Can you make a custom overlay with this where there's a multitouch slider along the top?

Great potential in any case, I'll look further into it and report back.

3. Doctopus

Doctopus Project Alpaca "BDFL"

Oh look it's @colonelmasako 's slider and it's glove compatible

4. kmidst

kmidst Newbie Player

Here's a video of a guy reviewing the device (it's called Sensel Morph):

Seems like it could work pretty well for rhythm games in general. PD, Musynx, Osu, etc...Could make different "overlays" for each and hot swap. I'll order it and try it out and let you guys know how good it is. They have a 30 day no questions return program so I should be safe lol.

Doctopus likes this.
  5. kmidst

kmidst Newbie Player

Well here's my report:
    Worked for all buttons but not for slider behavior.

It's super easy to remap the control areas from any overlay to keyboard buttons, which then can be used for all the controls in Future Tone arcade on PC. However, I couldn't get real slider behavior to work. There are a couple options in this device for the slider itself - midi slider and keyboard slider. I tried both and also tried enabling the PD loader option to use HW slider, tried disabling slider emulation, tried adjusting the com port settings in Windows....Nothing allowed the slide controls to register in game. It's unfortunate because I had my hopes up of creating a custom overlay for this device with diva controls and a slider.

It was interesting using touch controls to play the game though. It feels quite a bit different different tapping your fingers on a surface instead of pressing buttons. After trying it all out though, I prefer buttons instead. You have to watch the screen while you play, not the pad, so it's a bit difficult to keep track of what you're pressing while the game is moving fast. With buttons, you just rest your fingers over the buttons and you know where they're at, so it's easier.

I didn't try the device at all on PS4, because I decided pretty quickly that a button interface is better.