1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch (irrelevent)

Discussion in 'General' started by Zacattack99, Jan 7, 2018.

?

What impresses you?

1. Multiplayer

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Simple and Classic Gameplay styles

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. amiibo and DIVA room.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. The idea of Nintendo-themed Content.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. The other stuff

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. The times today.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zac Wood

Zac Wood Staff/Fortune Teller/Lucky Guesser/Spam Buster
    Staff Member Moderator

Family buisness, a Family matter.
    (Been a while, ya know) just watched this video by Extra Credits regarding the negatives of JUST hiring fans.

(that one bit in the end resonates with my vison for my ambition for new ideas for Project DIVA on Switch)

2. Doctopus

Doctopus Project Alpaca "BDFL"

But still remember: Also watch the balance. DO NOT focus on casual players too much and change the gameplay drastically or illogically. A recent example would be Taiko no Tatsujin for Switch. The alternative control scheme for this game beside buttons was accelerometer (because platform optimization by outsiders), which AFAIK got a lot of criticisms on its accuracy from series fans and general rhythm game players. And the main scheme feels weird because asymmentric layout and bad JoyCon buttons. Sure it was "beginner friendly" and looks cool but use this as an replacement of touchscreen control (which has been used for at least a decade on series games IIRC and works decently well and also something that switch is capable of) simply looks stupid and illogical if you think more on how the scheme will fit for the entire gameplay (both for beginners and experienced players). I don't against innovations or think more for beginners but also you should know that "begineer friendliness" sometimes also creates barriers that prevents begineers from upgrading themselves (like introducing an alternate scheme that doesn't work on higher difficulty levels. Once you get used to it, it's hard to upgrade to the advanced, more mature scheme because you need to learn the new scheme from scratch like playing a completely new game, which makes the game less entertaining) so that's where the balancing things kicks in.

So again

3. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#43 Zac Wood, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    You realize that we been talking about this for a while? I watched the review for Drum n’ Fun! Luis Alamilla noted that the motion controls on the Joy-Con needed work, He didn’t go It makes the game unplayable. To be frank, I don’t know why you bring up the comparison between a rhythm game that the Joy-Con’s motion controls, and compare it to something that would be button based. I think you should of compared the recently implemented button controls of VOEZ instead of this.

To me, and I will make this clear: IF DONE RIGHT; as in creating dedicated charts with this control scheme in mind from Easy to the Extreme+ for every song IN ADDITION to charts with the controls fans are used to. I don’t think alot of people will care about the Joy-Cons’ buttons or asymmetrical button layout, or complain to the point that it’s game breaking and should go the way of the loot box.

If you saw that Extra Credits episode, one problem is that the barrier of entry can be too high for newcomers despite veteran players saying it’s easy. If I was a mega fan, I straight up ignore that demographic in favor of the slightest nitpick from a handful of fans, and possibly make it taboo to avoid experimenting in stuff like this. To me that conpletely goes against the nature and demographic I am going for with the transition from PSP to PS4 to Switch; being anybody; regardless of the time they got on their hands, and everybody; regardless of their views on Hatsune Miku, rhythm games in general, or want something to share with others.

I think we should move on to other things to disscuss; like for instance, I started working on seperating my discussion to other fourms like one where I talk about this bizzare idea for having multiple story modes. Sure my ideas don’t make since on paper, but breaking it down one at a time will hopefully make it easier to digest.

This was the review I looked at:

4. Doctopus

That's exactly what I'm worrying. Imagine that a new player starts from single JoyCon and wants to move to the classic scheme, they may become overwhelmed by the difference of these 2 schemes and feels like they are playing a different game. This is also my experience with Superbeat Xonic and Project Mirai as I was familiar with certain type of scheme/# of keys and found that I was playing a different game when I try different setup and sometimes got discouraged because of that. Sure marketing-wise it makes sense to give new player a reason to get into the game first but is it really improves the learning curve and is it really what consumers want? I doubt so since it just postpones the appearance of the barrier.

IMO level difficulty is the way to resolve this issue, not introducing new schemes. (but also watch the balance, I don't want to see a second Ni no Kuni 2)

Sure it's not serious to the level of game-breaking, but it certainly feels wrong. Otherwise nobody will say that the console version of PJDF/X feels better control-wise than the Vita version.

Also there are cases that JoyCon's layout makes the game break (e.g. Superbeat Xonic for Switch) although it won't affect PJD that much.

5. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

Moving away from playstyles, in-game content and Switch-specific control setups; I just had a dream involving gameplay and I don’t know how to say this; so I will just leave it at as few words possible:

• Online/Local Content Sharing

• User-made playlists

• Reminiscent to Cloud Requests from Project DIVA X.

• Gameplay is like the Cloud melodies, also from Project DIVA X. (regardless of playstyle; the traditional Classic, or my controversal Simple)

• Transitions are not like Project DIVA X, where it just move to the next song, without much change; but similar to the Stage Morph option of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. (makes sense with PVs and their differing set pieces, choreographies, pacing and such)

I am still doing my best to piece together this bizzare dream, mechanics-wise.

6. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

This also caught my eye...

7. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

Diverting even further ‘cause why not?; a obviously bad wordplay joke.

Joy-Cogamine

I’d be in total shock if no one get’s it.

8. saturnfireflie

saturnfireflie Big Debut

#48 saturnfireflie, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    I just wanna say..... wow I have not been on this board for a long time.
    .....And I think it is because the Diva series needs new life since it has not had an exciting new entry in awhile.. (and no...games that include recycled songs and modules do not count — I’m looking at you VR)

Personally I also love the Switch, I see it as the perfect platform to play almost any game.
    Since it is a Nintendo product I would almost rather see a Mirai Switch title come out from Sega.
    The Diva series (to me) seems to live on PlayStation and I do not mind that the 3ds did something different.

I want to revisit the world of super-deformed Vocaloids on the Switch!!!

Most of all, I am patiently waiting for the much deserved comeback of any Vocaloid gaming series...on either platform
    (hopefully in the form of two upcoming complelety different totally new entries in both the Diva and Mirai series)...

❤️❤️❤️

9. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

10. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

If they are working on something with the no SONY handheld in mind; then the hype is possibly REAL.

11. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#51 Zac Wood, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Since I need to say something; If there was a possibility for assessories then seeing that it make sense IF there is anything; Cappy.
    aka the cap character from Super Mario Odyssey. If you ever wondered about what happens if Mario captured a VOCALOID; then this is your answer.

Attached Files:

12. raredutchkiller

raredutchkiller Welcome to DIVA!

just wanted to say this about this whole thing:

(just a side thing i also want project diva to come to the switch since this definitly would give a larger community and more players) and also im from asia so i cant talk that english so good

there are some things why project diva is and isnt gonna come but i have a bigger feeling it isnt. here are my reasons why not: but the thing about this is that i dont think its ever gonna come. nintendo direct just came about a week or so and they didnt mention anything about project diva. also this thing has been going on for almost a year and im just starting to lose hope.

but ofc there are some reasons why it is gonna come: we already got her in taiko so maybe we can get the game? the game also made it to the 3ds so it makes sense if it would also come to a popular console like the switch.

13. Megurine Luka is cute!

Megurine Luka is cute! Welcome to DIVA!

I want the comfiness of Mirai, the gameplay from future tone and the graphics from X.

14. Doctopus

Random thought: Maybe it will be better if FT was released on Switch instead of PS4. The official controller maybe bad for such task, at least Nintendo made it trivial for players to make their own controller by not implementing ANY authentication measure (https://github.com/wchill/SwitchInputEmulator) unlike $**y and M****$**t which are all "greedy bastards" who locked down their own controllers so that one would require extra hardware and software in order to make the DIY controller work on PS4/XB1. I would probably save TONS of time and use them to actually perfecting the c... oh wait

Untitled.png

15. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#55 Zac Wood, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Honestly Doctopus; I don’t really know how to respond to that outside of:

Attached Files:

16. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#56 Zac Wood, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    But when thinking about it Doctopus; it’s possible on Switch, You just need to ditch all the complex circuitry, springs, and plastics, and instead use perferated cardboard, carefully placed pieces of reflective tape, pieces of foam and use the Inferred Motion camera of Kagamine Rin (if VOCALOIDs were game controllers) and boom! PDA:FT homemade DIY controller!

Or more specifically a Toy-Con controller contraption. Just hope they add support for it with a future update, DEEMO did it first shall we not forget:

It also dosen’t have to be just that; take a look at all these other creations! https://labo.nintendo.com/share/#!/

17. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

18. Doctopus

Seriously though, if SEGA really decided to port FT to switch they would probably also include JoyCon motion control as a way to do the slider (remember the Chunithm joke?).

Actually I did have the "creative" idea of using Wiimotes (cause JoyCons are expensive) + FTIR + some specially designed optical circuitry as the slider or even the button mechanism before Labo came out, but didn't choose it because I want the controller to be "as arcade as possible" and I didn't know much on optical stuff.

19. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#59 Zac Wood, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    You can develop a “arcade-like feel” for the housing and buttons with their springs and such; rather than circuitry, use pieces of reflective tape placed under the inputs. Coming from my actual experiences with building Toy-Con (being the Toy-Con House, Toy-Con Piano, Toy-Con Robot, Toy-Con Car, Toy-Con Submarine, and Toy-Con Plane) you need to make sure the housing internally isn't reflective as a whole 'or be as dark as dark can be', make a opening so it can house the right Joy-Con and place pieces of reflective tape in specific ways, like small 1x4 rectangular squares: with your hypothetical A/O button having squares 2 and 3, and having tape while your B/X button has squares 2 and 4, for example. with the slider, that's something I can't really think of due to that "arcade-perfect" concept your going with; maybe make it transparent layer that detects your finger, as long as the unit itself doesn't have lights it's good. There's no need to disassemble any controllers as this just needs the right Joy-Con's I.R. motion camera as it can detect all that.

The major obstacle is programming the whole thing to work; you could hack a Joy-Con using software similar to the Toy-Con Garage feature of Labo software, to act as a interface to the Switch console. Or have SEGA/SEGA Feat. Hatsune Miku Project/AM2, HORI, and/or Nintendo officially recognize the potential of such a controller, include a type of Toy-Con Garage feature in controller options. Something I just came up after toying with the near 3-year old idea of playing Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone with nothing but a NES controller, is to have a new game in the series feature a re-purposed EDIT MODE that focuses more on custom chart creation rather than PVs, with sharing elements ala Super Mario Maker, (a can of worms for another time) for those who want to make charts with unique challenges, possibly with custom control options.

I figured I share the IGN Wiki article regarding the Toy-Con Piano. It’s better if you build it yourself, or watch the videos of the building process associated with it:
    https://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-labo/Toy-Con_Piano#Studio_Mode

20. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#60 Zac Wood, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    About why “making a Project DIVA game on Nintendo Switch” makes more and more sense, month-per-month, on a financial/corporate/business level now more than ever: