1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

VRM Consortium

Discussion in 'VOCALOID' started by Zac Wood, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Zac Wood

Zac Wood Staff/Fortune Teller/Lucky Guesser/Spam Buster
    Staff Member Moderator

Family buisness, a Family matter.
    #1 Zac Wood, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    I had nothing much to say to welcoming the forum into the new year; then then the VRM Consortium suddenly became a Nintendo-related headline. While unrelated, I kid you not; Nintendo is indeed joining Crypton Future Media as two of the 13 companies in this venture. For those who did not catch it last month; this consortium (which means roughly the same thing as a joint venture) starting in February is to both create a international VR Avatar business model, and to push the VRM file-format as the standard for 3D human models. (That could be a big deal for those professionals working with MMD) While it’s hard to imagine CFM to not have a more active role in all of this; Nintendo will participate as an observer. In ways it explains why a completely different and more advanced interactive asset (model) of Miku was spotted, and it bridges the gap for both Nintendo eggheads like Mii (pun intended) with Miku fans such as ‘u’ people (another pun; and a relevent one for those who weren’t following the twitter account last year) as something we can both talk about. If you also know me (pun over) it could mean more for the future for Games feat. Hatsune Miku, if the two make a joint venture beyond all of this. Regardless, this is a good step for Nintendo into researching and possibly setting off into VR in a better direction than the Virtual Boy.

Yes; I just had to put major words in Bold, and heres the promotional video from Virtual Cast going over the whole thing:

SYSADMIN likes this.
  2. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

I first heard about it over on Nintendo Life, and pretty much alot of Nintendo-news sites started covering it, just type up “VRM Consortium” and the only search results that are both relevent and recent are from these same sites. The only result unrelated to Nintendo’s announcement, is a VOCALOID reddit page from 12/20, (so basically an example of when the news first spread regarding CFM.) another was a forum post from sister site VocaVerse by the user ‘Exemplar’ where it explains what CFM CGM Team director Yuriko Kumagai is wanting to do with the VRM Format. (I know these wouldn’t be considered sources; but they are the closest link to CFM and this whole thing)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...virtual_reality_vrm_consortium_as_an_observer (By Liam Doolan)

https://vocaverse.network/threads/cfm-is-going-to-do-stuff-with-the-vrm-vtuber-format.1445/ (VocaVerse User: Exemplar)

(by dynamicsearchguy)

3. Zac Wood

Staff Member Moderator

#3 Zac Wood, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Honestly; not really sure if Nintendo as an observer means that they are indeed amongst these other 11 companies, or it means they are a seperate company from this venture entirely. So still confused about it while at the same time somewhat excited about it.

(EDIT: So yes, and to apologize for spreading slight misinformation; Nintendo is by all means NOT considered an active company in the VRM Consortium: the VRM Consortium is comprised of the following companies with Nintendo being a hypothetical addition to the list (I also want to correct that number from 11 to 12.)

1. Crypton Future Media Inc. (why the topic is here)
    2. Unity Technologies Japan
    3. IVR Inc.
    4. XVO Inc.
    5. Wright Flyer
    6. pixiv
    7. Showroom
    8. Mirrativ
    9. Dwango
    10. S-court
    12. DUO
    13. Virtual Cast (promo video provider)
    14. Nintendo (the reason why out of all the people here I am the one talking about it.)