1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Multi or Single Player?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Darksidehearts, May 4, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    Well as the title would suggest: What do you like to play? Are you the sociable type or the loner who prefers to be their own hero or villain? Which type of game do you play the most and why?
    - - - -

Personally I tend to play multi-player games more frequently, especially MMO's. However I am a solo-player so it kind of defeats the purpose a bit :P

2. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    I've tried one MMO and didn't find it fun at all. I don't think I'd play well with others so I prefer to live my adventures alone without anyone's help but my own. I like RPG-games with easier gameplay like the Final Fantasy series, I haven't been a gamer my entire life (only for about 4 years) and easily panic under stress :P I like games with a good story, if I can play it.

3. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

To be honest I have no idea why I even play games that promote cooperation with other players when I barely do so myself. I'm not a jerk though, if someone is in trouble and wants the aid, I'm one of the first people there to help out. Otherwise I often keep to myself. I got into playing MMO's years ago because so many of the people I knew played them. However I never liked what they did so I've just been exploring many of the games out there to see what interests me. I only continually play something I know I'll enjoy for fun and entertainment. I am very picky about these kind of games and have a certain criteria for MMO's.

I'm not a huge fan of RPG's but I make an exception for Final Fantasy VIII, Skies of Arcadia and Saga Frontier II. The only turn based games that have ever kept me entertained plus I like the way their respective stories are written. I am willing to accept suggestions for titles and will give it a shot. I've been wanting to play Grandia II for the Dreamcast ever since I sold it to my friend Greg, a mistake I keep living with T~T

I can't quite remember when I started playing video games but it was early. About when I was four or five maybe? Actually it might have been when I was eight because I remember Sonic II coming out in the US around 1995 and I was in second grade. So I've been playing for a long time but to be honest longevity in the video game world doesn't really matter to me. Whether you've been playing for years or just started, as long as you have fun then that is all that counts.

4. ChenMW

ChenMW Newbie Player

Play a lot of consoles and online games, personally I prefer solo games, you can play, pause anytime you want where as online game you can't, if you meet a bad person in your party either your party mate quarrel with each other or giving you a bad day, so whenever I play online games I always solo, but now a days is getting harder to solo as most of the time you need to do quest or fight boss together as a team, multiplayer relies heavily on team work, I can work as a team, but no point if people aren't listening or cooperating with you.

5. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Part of the problem is that many companies along with the general public have created the "playing with friends only" way of thinking. Which tends to leave us solo-players at a huge disadvantage when playing games. Though this is nothing new but, as you've pointed out, it is becoming more difficult to enjoy a solo-experience. I get the point but, there does need to be a balance. You should as the player have a right to play how you see fit.

I'm more than fine with playing in a group if the need arises and if they are willing to talk things out to benefit the team but it should be my prerogative to go around that if I don't want to. That is why a lot of people get angry at a game like RaiderZ. I like it because if you are a solo-player, you can skip a lot of those quests and fights and move on through the world until you are skilled enough to come back and take them on your own. You're not supposed to do that as it does break the game a bit but, they left the possibility in because Perfect World Entertainment knew that everyone plays a game differently. In fact they encourage you to explore and find your own way through the world but remind you to keep in mind that there is an advantage to working with others.

I've had more than my fair share of people yelling at me because I'd be running into an instance or location with lower level gear and such. Yet, I survived better than they did because I've spent the time focusing on keeping only myself alive. I learn the patterns of the enemy and pay attention to the world around me, if I die then it is my own fault for not being quick enough to react to the situation and adapt. Thankfully you do meet more players who understand that and work well with you in games but it can be fleeting. There is a huge limit to how much one can do by themselves and sometimes you do need to bite the bullet and take some aid from someone else and believe me, at times it can be more of a relief than a burden but in general it should be left up to you to do so. The bigger advantage to a single player game is like you said, you can pause and play it as you would like without the risk of those social issues.

That is also part of the reason I never join a guild or add any friends in a game, the other issue with many MMO's is the emphasis on PVP. I really dislike PVP, I'm not going to say I haven't done it in a game but I'm not a fan of it nor do I want to build a character just to deal with other players. If a game gives PVP as a choice then I'm all for it but I hate it when you are playing and then all of a sudden you hit an area where you're forced into PVP.

6. ChenMW

ChenMW Newbie Player

Its true that working with others will have the advantage of clearing a stage or dungeon more easier, but usually I will try to solo the dungeons myself, I will only start to look for a party when facing difficulties, before that I look for a party, I done the following, upgrading the equipment, reached cap's level etc, observed the mob's movement, actually I like to play with other players but when someone who purposely go and screw up, fun become rage.

I usually don't join guild, like Granado Espada, fraction(guild) vs fraction, and the pvp can continue on until the leader with another leader truce, even you done nothing wrong you get pked just because 2 leaders are not happy with each other, I think pvp is fun only when both sides have equality stats and equipment, the developer can always feature an arena where on par equipment or fair stats on both sides so for new players or don't plan on spending ones can at least feel the challenge with other player, not who more pay more and upgrade more equals to win more in pvp out in the field.

I have tried spending a few hundreds to improve my equipment but not much different, you have to spend alot more like 2 to 3 thousands in order to have good equipment, I myself who don't go pvp others so most of the pvp features I skipped, when I still active in an online game, people that I know, they also don't like forced into pvp like you said, and I think its too many pro and cons if I going to listed here lol.

7. infinity

infinity Little traveler

Well, as i'm not a player at all, i only play project diva F, so the answer is Single player.

8. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Sometimes it's good to only play one game, if it is something you enjoy then it is worth the time you play it for. Also cute avi Infinity ^_^

9. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

Single. Even when I play MMOs, I like to play by myself, though I'll join a guild or whatever for conversation.

10. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    in online games it's hard to play singleplayer to get everything you want. i try to do the most in wow as singleplayer but from time to time i need help by other players..
    anyway in other online games on portable devices i love to play multiplayer. there are some games which make more fun in a group than playing them alone, well it depends.

11. Maakun

Maakun Intermediate Player

Technical Support Representative
    depends on how you define multiplayer

I play Project DIVA F alone a lot, but games like The Walking Dead, Resident Evil Revelations, and Persona 4 although single player games, I almost always play with my GF because she's interested in the story

I played (and somewhat enjoys) all of Resident Evil 6 with my room mate, not only because I'm not the best at aiming, but because it was more fun to play with him than alone and share the experience (the same reason I always watch movies with friends)

Majority of my gaming though is done with friends. I hold parties at my place monthly where I get around 10-20 people to come over, we play mostly Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Pair Play and NBA Jam On Fire Edition. It's a good game because it's anyone's match, I do a slightly modified form of button mashing (alternating between left and right punch/kick constantly) and win, and my friends (who mostly consist of girls) also have a fair chance. We also play Street Fighter IV and while only a few of my friends have skill (I only know the shotos) I prefer to shame, or be shamed, by friends.

I used to play Soul Calibur V online (Soul veteran, since Edge in the arcades) and while I won a majority of my matches, I hate when people would log out half way because they were losing or just being straight out cheap because they have no life and dedicate all their time to a single game. When I play with my friends I feel it's an even playing field as I'm not anymore skilled than they are.

On a side note I am so damn excited about Dragon's Crown I've already planned a party for August 6th and I'm taking the day off work on August 7th so I can drink myself stupid with my friends. I also have to watch what I say if I were to play online with others. While I'm not racist/sexist/bigot, me and my friends say a lot of crazy shit with each other while playing games because we like to joke around with each other while not worrying about offending anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym6VMkTV2-A

I'm not crazy about the character design but the Elf looks cute in a lolicon kind of way and I've always enjoyed using Wizards. I'll let my friends who love gigantic breasts play as the Amazon or Sorceress.

On a very small side note, the main reason I probably never got into online gaming is because I used to play Ragnarok Online for around 5 years straight from around 2001 and it was a hardcore addiction.My GF at the time (and a handful of my close friends) enjoyed it, so she'd always play support or vice versa and we'd level with friends. However when people started to exploit Lord of the Dead the game just lost all purpose for me. Things like exploits to level your character to 99 in one day and botting are what ruin games online, because once again it's not fair. If you have a lot of spare time and legit get to level 99 through hard work, congratulations, but if you sit on your ass and go to sleep while your guild lets you leech exp and get to level 99 in one night with no effort, I'd rather not bother with that.

12. Breksingpav

Breksingpav Welcome to DIVA!

Igra GTA
    Home Page:
    http://nedforspid.ru
    Any Multi or Single Player

Any interest for yet another MOBA? I personally struggle to think anyone will make a significant dent in LOL/DOTA market share. I suppose this one is on PS4, however it looks very basic, i think they are going for a MOBA-for-dummies look. thoughts? Their early access is open today is you want to pay 18 for PC.

13. Silaris Alpha

Silaris Alpha Big Debut

i mostly play MMO, because play alone is cool but i feel lonely faster.
    I play mostly manga design game !

14. Shadowjake

Shadowjake Welcome to DIVA!

Home Page:
    https://www.deviantart.com/shadowjake159
    I would go with single player.