1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What's in a name?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Darksidehearts, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    I was thinking about something earlier today when I was at work, actually it's been on my mind for a long while but I've been kind of afraid to approach this question myself considering I'm not really ready to share the story behind my username quite yet without drudging up memories. Here's my inquiry: We all create a username or avatar for a game, forum or any online outlet. What is going through your mind when you create one? Do you have any personal connection to that name you've made or is it just something you randomly came up with? Also how do you go about creating it?

A very brief history of my more notable identities
    Huntertreia
    [A name created during my PSO [Phantasy Star Online] days a long time ago, it's a combination of Treia Evans and a PSO Hunter.
    - Treia Evans was a name that I created because I just wanted to be a different person at the time and hated a lot about myself. Treia was however too close to my actual name Trevor...so that plan didn't pan out as well as I wanted :P

I might have been able to fool newer people with that name but it was a little strange to anyone I already knew and believe me I got more than enough laughs and ridicule for trying.

tt2004
    A name perhaps nobody or some people might know if any of you are from the PSPCrazy forums, it's a very basic combo of my initials and the year 2004 *Don't think I needed to explain that really...*
    - I always liked the year 2004, I'm really not too sure why considering nothing good happened in my life around that time. In fact a lot of terrible things continued from 2002 that eventually led to the creation of DSH in 2005

Darksidehearts
    I won't go into the full detail for this name but it's a constant reminder of the person I used to be and never want to go back to.

Voriker
    The wind of change
    - A name created from the letters in my own full name. All my other names or persona's were created based on memories or situations at a specific moment in my life. This would be the first time I've made something based on my own identity. I really do feel like I'm moving forward with my life instead of being stuck in the past and I have this forum and three people specifically to thank for this. One from the past, and two new friends I've had to pleasure to communicate with. Eventually I would like to go by this instead of the living in the memory of Darksidehearts.

2. infinity

infinity Little traveler

Well, good topic.

I was searching something related to vocaloid but not something so easy like "vocaloidfanboy" of "megurinelukaismine", then i've found this :

so i looked at the bottom right corner, and did my own "infinity-happy end-" :)

I was on a french website called Nautiljon but i left and deleted all my posts, too much immature for me.
    Infected by k-pop fans ;)
    I had two names, my first one was lex talionis and the second one : lifesizenote.

"lex talionis", this remembered me an obscure french brutal death metal band, something weird with a drum machine and 2 shredders, 1 bass player and a "singer" :

lifesizenote because of the title of the first non-doujin CD by 40mP.

3. Almeria

Almeria アイサレタイ
    Staff Member Moderator

Studying Media Science at Södertörn University
    The name Almeria is something I came up with in a panic as a 10-year old trying to find a good internet name. I got the name from my sister's acoustic guitar that had "Almeria" written in it (I later found out this is the name of a Spanish city where the guitar was made). I stuck with it until the city's football team got famous and I couldn't use the name anymore since it was always taken. I still use it whenever I can, I like the name but I'm not really proud of the fact that it's the name of a city in Spain (I have no connection to that country whatsoever).

Otherwise I try to go by AmLight which like your name Treia Evans is based on my alter-ego when I was little called Amy Light. I later on accepted that I kind of liked my real name Amanda and because internet-friends were confused on whether to call med Alm (from Almeria) or Amanda it simply became Am. Fun note: When I created a Japanese PSN the name AmLight was already taken so I instead went with AmDark just because ^^
    I chose Light because out of me and my sister I've always been the kind, truthful little sister with the blonde hair and a bright smile while she was the lying, moody girl with dark hair. Now that we're grown up we've become very close and play on the fact that we're a bit like Yin and Yang with me being light and her being dark, but together we complete each other's flaws. Neither of us are entirely "good" or "bad" either so it's a bit interchangable.

This leads me to the final name that I share with my sister, Lace and Blood (or LaceandBlood in one word) which is exactly as mentioned before a play on our opposite personalities and attributes with lace being white and beautiful and blood being, well, dark and gory. Together they form us, creative beauty with a dark twist. We've also gone as far as change our clothing style which we will showcase this summer; I've changed my style to Shiro Lolita (google that) and my sister being Kuro Lolita and Guro Lolita (google those as well - Guro is the exact definition of our name LaceandBlood). Shiro and Kuro Lolitas are usually seen together and they fit us perfectly. I've also never seen anyone with those styles in real life so that makes it extra fun ^^

4. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    To be honest I'm surprised that I received more than a glace at this thread. However I felt it time to break from those recent useless threads I began posting due to lack of sleep and social ineptitude on my part and decided to get back to something with real content that can engage more people into a conversation. It appears that I have accomplished that goal.

A style based on ones own personality? A very interesting concept indeed, I really do like your way of thinking Almeria. Oh and your connections are very interesting as well Infinity.

5. Kaon

Kaon シュープリーム

...If you guessed my user name was from an anime, you're right.

During my teenage years enduring high school, I watched Kannazuki no Miko(by Kaishaku), and the beautiful character designs kind of drew me in. Most notably Himemiya Chikane - I kind of fell for her character design, and instantly became my favorite character. Until then, Kaishaku had started another animanga series called Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, which included a lot of spinoff character designs from their previous works. I decided to watch it and it had a spinoff of Chikane's character design, twas named "Kaon"(The Lunar Spiral). She is an "absolute angel" serving under a headmaster of a rival magic school. I decided why not, and took the name for my own.

Yes, I'm very uncreative with names, yet I have an awkward love for this character. xD

6. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    I think it's pretty obvious what my name is (I get tons of PMs on multiple websites saying it's misspelled when it's intentional OTL). It's actually the name of my scalesona as well. Yep, I'm a furry |D

I got the name from looking on Wikipedia for a new OC name (cause I am NOT an original person so I needed inspiration) and clicked random article and what do I get?

Some article about Nazi Germany (why Wikipedia... that's so depressing)...

BUT THEN after some reading and clicking through different "related" articles (we've all been there), I end up getting to breathing disorders and saw that Dyspnea looked pretty cool so I changed the letter e to an i and BAM, my scalesona has a name and I also have a username that's never taken! (except on xbox live... da hell?)

Some alternate usernames I use are Apnia, Eupnia, and Wheeze.

Interesting self trivia:
    The first place I used the username, Dyspnia, was on the French Project Diva forum.
    Interesting self trivia 2:
    This ended up becoming a nickname thing with me and two of my friends too xD[​IMG]
    I'm Dyspnia in the picture of course xD

7. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    Do I really have to say anything about my username? :T

Oh well, but I can say something about my 2 other identities on the Internet:

"olivaaa"
    Well, I use this one on deviantart. It's kinda outdated but I still use this name, because that's how the old dA users know me.
    The name came from my old character on Ragnarok Online (Account doesn't exist anymore). I kinda sucked in thinking about good character names, so I just used my first name (Oliver) and since in German the "ver" is pronounced like the "wa" in the Japanese "watashi", I just took "olivaaa" because just one A looked to much like "Olivia" and two As we're already taken.

"Darkoli / Darkoli1987"
    Kinda the same story, but this time I was trying to find a character name for my old undead warlock on WoW. Dark + Oli(ver). Very creative. :S
    Anyways, I was still playing with my old WoW account and the characters Darkoli and Kristie (my bloodelf paladin, but both of them don't exist anymore) when I created my YouTube channel, Facebook, Twitter and stuff, so I kept this name for my further non-vocaloid-related profiles as well. The 1987 is just the year where I was born.

For Vocaloid related profiles I use MikuHatsune or MikuHatsuneCV01.

8. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

How else are we supposed to know what MikuHatsune is from?

Yeah, just kidding...

Anyway, my name is a mixture of a video game reference and my IRL nickname. IRL everyone calls me JP, so one day my brother just decided that it sounded similar to the "Japes" in Jungle Japes (from Donkey Kong), so he started calling me that. It seems to have stuck ever since.

On other sites I sometimes use "Japesland" because Japes is often taken. the -land part is simply from the first Roller Coaster Tycoon park I ever made, and I hate using numbers in my usernames.

9. Maakun

Maakun Intermediate Player

Technical Support Representative
    it's my Japanese name...yeah, very creative right?

I also used to use the name Taiji years ago, which is a butchering of the singer Seo Taeji. At the time I didn't know any Korean so I didn't know how to properly romanize it and it wasn't until around 6 years later that I actually took it upon myself to learn Korean.

My other username, which is the most commonly used is my initials+month+day I was born, but there is no need to share that info :)

10. Rinandlen4lyfe

Rinandlen4lyfe Newbie Player

Student, Kagamine addict
    My username says it all...
    I created it because there weren't that many vocaloid fans that I knew and the ones that I did know were obsessed with Miku, so I created this username to stand out a bit.
    (I feel like my reply is too simple for some reason)