1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Rhythm Game Terms

Discussion in 'General' started by flamethrower, Dec 7, 2016.

1. flamethrower

flamethrower Big Debut

So I was wondering terms that can be used to describe rhythms and notes in the rhythm game.

I saw this page which is for a DDR clone: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Flash_Flash_Revolution/Terminology

So a lot of those terms apply? I don't even know the words to describe some of the rhythms in the games, or I didn't see them listed elsewhere, so here goes.

I guess I could post a screenshot later.
    Eighth notes, like the name says, have 8 notes per measure. When you see icons with edges touching, these are 8th notes. When you see icons that are half-overlapping each other, those are 16th notes and when you see icons that are spaced one icon apart, those are quarter notes. Is that right?

Jackhammer is a series of 8th or 16th notes, the same note over and over
    Trill is a jackhammer but two different notes alternating (harder)
    Stream is a jackhammer but the notes change (many different note patterns are possible, harder still)

Roll is △○X□ or △□X○, basically any pattern that goes around the controller either clockwise or counterclockwise. It does not have to be 8th notes either, it could be anything regularly spaced apart.

I did not see strategy advice for these games, like how certain patterns should be played, like with one hand or two or where to switch styles.

2. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    Well, I guess for Project Diva there are a few names that just evolved differently from the ones you listed. I guess I'll go through it point by point:

I guess overlapping notes should roughly represent the note values, but for some charts that doesn't always apply. Like, a lot of notes are definitely not spaced according to their note values.

"Jacks" are usually just called "spam" by Project Diva players. At least I haven't heard the term used by any Project Diva Players I know.
    Spam with 2 differnet notes doesn't get a special name either, neither does spam with changing notes.

And "Rolls" usually are just called "circling notes" as far as I know.

As for advice on how to play them: If it's too fast for you to play it wiht one hand, play it with two. It's that easy. Or you could train to get faster, whichever you think is easier. For spam pretty much everyone dual wields (using both hands), same for very fast circling, but other than that there's a lot of differnet people playing styles.

3. Mullet345

Mullet345 Advanced Player

Can we add Stairs to the Project Diva rythm game terms? Anyone who has played FT should know what these are.

4. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    You could explain which patter you mean, so we're sure to agree on this, but yeah, I can imagine a pattern in FT I'd call staris.