1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my D-Pad Down always breaks first?

Discussion in 'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone' started by Magical39, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Magical39

Magical39 Pro Player

I really need a serious opinion or maybe suggestion because this is a problem since ever I started playing Project DIVA on a home console = PS3.

Honestly I was never really such a big fan of playing Project DIVA games on a home console but at the time, when Dreamy Theater 2nd was released I wanted to play obviously. Things starts well (Perfect etc.) until PDextend Dreamy Theater released and I start getting random WORST on Gekishou Extreme when dealing with the X streams, figuring out that my D-Pad Down response to other directions as well. Since I was never satisfied with the price of a new controller, I never replaced it till today and barely touched any PS3 Project DIVA games because of that.

Now since I have a PS4 and started with a fresh controller, which I played most of the time FFXIV. And since the game uses the analog stick to move, I never really touched the D-Pad at all until Future Tone for PS4 was released. Hype there, playing as much as possible, bla bla bla. What happens 10 days after release? My D-Pad down of my PS4 controller started to respond other directions as well, the exact same issue like my PS3 controller. And that's driving me crazy! Even if I press gently and accuratly down, it starts recorgnizing left for no reasons. I do not shake the controller or press immensively hard on the buttons unless I really panic a lot in the game, but that barely happens tbf. I still have a spare controller since I bought the bundle with 2 controllers and the non touched brand new controller works smoothly of course but not my main controller which only hold 10 DAYS after the release of Future tone. Seriously D-Pad down .......

TL;DR: D-Pad down always breaks when I use it to play Project DIVA -_-

Some questions that I am interested in:

Did you ever had button issues while playing Project DIVA generally?
    If you never replaced a new controller until now, what difficulty do you play majority?

2. WWEdeadman

WWEdeadman Master of the 1 Safe

Chemist, Twitch Streamer, YouTuber
    Home Page:
    http://www.twitch.tv/WWEdeadman
    Honestly, you're definitely not the only one who has controllers breaking over this game in such a way. Having the D-Pad break after 10 days is a bit weird though, I'd say that's a production issue on that specific controller. I've used a PS4 controller for the PS3 games for about a year, playing Extreme (and Edits in F2nd), and my D-Pad is still accurate. However, it does feel loose, like the membrane they use inside the controller broke, or something. Also, last time I played I felt like my Square button wasn't responding right sometimes. But as I said, that's after a year of Extreme and Edits.

As for the one I use with X and FT, that still seems perfectly fine after playing Extreme and Extra Extreme on FT ever since release, and Extreme on X ever since the PS4 version came out.

3. nofutur

nofutur IYA IYA!!

Home Page:
    https://nofutnoheya.wordpress.com/one-day-one-pic/
    I had the same problem with a "new" official DS3, but it really seemed to be a refurbished one. I brought it back to the shop and change it for a real new pad.

4. Kari

Kari Intermediate Player

After playing project diva f/f 2nd and x on my ps vita A LOT i now have to buy a new one cause most of the bottons don't react anymore.
    i really hope i'm able to find a cheap one somewhere because i don't have the money for it right now thanks to my old ps4 dying 3 weeks ago ~.~

fortunately i didn't have to replace a ps3/4 controller so far but i guess my ps3 controller is pretty damaged since my first project diva (to earlier in contrast at least) ^^
    I'm playing on hard/extreme and exextreme (future tone) difficulty.

5. Magical39

Magical39 Pro Player

Thank you for the comments so far.

Seems like the PS3 DS Controller is really a bad controller after all, if it did break for other people as well (or it wasn't ment to be used for Rythm games...?)

I was about thinking to open my PS4 controller to check if there is any chance I could fix it by myself but I ended up giving up since I am missing some tools to open it without breaking anything = plastic tools since it is very difficult to open it with screw driver only without hurting anything and such...

6. sp193

sp193 Intermediate Player

I originally had one DS3, which came with my PlayStation 3 in 2012. The set and the controller were used for about a year and both were originally in great shape.
    Despite seeing little use, the controller developed a fault that caused some of the buttons to be randomly triggered off in 2014. :/
    I got two new controllers, but one developed a similar fault after a month of use. The one controller that still works, is still my one and only working controller. :(

I haven't figured out what was the problem with these controllers, but taking them apart and putting them back togther seems to cause the problem to shift about (moves between buttons). So I guess that it's about the contact between the flex cable and the PCB, but I can't seem to improve it....

7. dorothy3242

dorothy3242 Advanced Player

How much is a lot? I've played around just ~600 hours worth of project diva on extreme and am constantly living in fear of the day my vita stops responding to button presses as well as it does.. having an estimate for its lifespan would be quite helpful ;_;

8. Kari

Kari Intermediate Player

#8 Kari, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    600 hours? wow, respect for that ^^ i've played about 350 hours on the vita (it would surely be more if i weren't so bad at the vita versions of the game). that's why i bought the ps3 versions in the first place and it's funny how i suddenly was able to do much better.
    well, i have my vita for 5-6 years now and i started playing project diva in february this year. of course she was already a little damaged over this time period before i started playing project diva at all. but since then i noticed her condition got worse.
    i guess my playstyle is at fault for that ^^° because i'm so bad at playing project diva on the vita i smash the buttons like crazy cause i slip away with my fingers and so on. and i'm sure bad luck is also involved ^^

but i think as long as you don't recognize anything like loose buttons or the reacton time of the buttons you don't have to worry about that.