1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Favorite Vocaloid and Why?

Discussion in 'VOCALOID' started by Dyspnia, May 31, 2013.

1. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this topic already (if it exists then I'm a bit blind huh? xD)

But as this topic suggests, who is your favorite Vocaloid and explain why. (Preferably not fanloids but I love them just as much so you can list those too xD)

I loooveeeeee MEIKO with a burning passion, her voice can sound extremely mature for slow and serious songs but she can also extend her range to a cutsy voice (aka Sakine) and sing poppy and upbeat songs. What more could you want! (Can't wait for her V3 btw, I'm getting tired of using Vocaloid1)

And since I love fanloids so much, I should also add that I love Hakuuuuuuu~

2. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

My favorite is IA (created by the company, "1st PLACE") for four main reasons:

1) One of my favorite (perhaps my favorite) Vocaloid producer is Jin (Shizen no Teki-P) and he has been using IA quite a bit lately in his more recent works.

2) The songs that really got me into the Vocaloid scene are some of the pieces written by the aforementioned Jin. Songs such as Imagination Forest and Kisaragi Attention have both catchy melodies (and I love the synthesizer he uses) as well as extremely engaging animated PVs. Both of these work in unison to create a rich character for the singer and a rich atmosphere as well. Perhaps it's simply a bias because of being introduced to some of the better stuff out there via this Vocaloid, but I just get an unexplainable happy feeling when listening to those pieces.

3) I really enjoy the voice. I personally think IA has a much more enjoyable voice than the majority of the Crypton Vocaloids (although much of that depends on the writer, particularly considering some writers can get an extremely convincing voice out of even the voices using V1, such as MEIKO and KAITO). It could also be Jin's writing, but she just feels a bit easier on the ears more consistently for me.

4) I like her character design. It's not particularly astounding, but it's really nice (and also my wallpaper on all of my devices).

After her, categorizing them gets a bit hairy. I absolutely love some Gumi songs, but I also love some Miku songs... and some Luka songs... and some Rin songs.... and so on and so forth. The writer is more important to me than the Vocaloid at that point.

3. Dyspnia

University Student
    This is what people need to see a lot more in this fandom. But now that I think about it I never said my favorite producer, which is shu-t, ever since Change Me HNNGGGGG all his work makes my ears wanna melt. (Don't even get me started on the new Stay With Me). He's the main reason I love MEIKO so much xD

4. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

Unpopular opinion: VY1. Love that voice.

Gumi comes in second.

Rin is my favorite Crypton Vocaloid.

5. infinity

infinity Little traveler

So many different choices here, well i will be more classic :

1/ Hatsune Miku, for so many reasons, the first i've heard/seen/liked, most popular...

2/ Megurine Luka, her voice is really warm

3/ IA, the best vocaloid breakthrough, good voice and original character design and Jin, Kemu & Kaoling songs :
    Why some hard subs in this video ?

4/ Gumi, because of her popularity and the good songs.

5/ Mew, since i've heard the cover From TRF called "Ez do dance"

6/ Kaito V3 only, Kaito V1, i can't stand, it's not pleasant to hear, imo...

6. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

My favorite is Nekomura Iroha. I love her design and deeper voice so much. It's refreshing to hear a deeper female Vocaloid. Her version of Risky Game is so beautiful

7. Toadsili_T

Toadsili_T Newbie Player

Similar to Infinity, I simply can't bring myself to pick just ONE Vocaloid as a favourite. Sorry to steal/borrow your formatting. ^_^;

Megurine Luka: JBF & Double Lariat are both the source of my Luka bias, which is undoubtedly aided by being some of the first Vocaloid songs I heard, as well her (incomplete) ability to speak English. As one of the more mature designed and mysterious sounding Vocaloids, one could say she's more personally identifiable, and it seems many artists understand those aspects when using her.

GUMI: Strange as this sounds, I first came to learn of GUMI from cross-promotional posters in GoGoCurry Japan. At the time, I had wondered what the deal was with the Vocaloid tag considering I never saw her in PDA; I realised soon afterwards that there were many more Vocaloids out there than Crypton's CV series. Being the first V3 Vocaloid I listened to, I was simply taken aback how smooth and natural GUMI's voice came out. Her quality is no doubt a big factor behind her popularity.

Yuzuki Yukari: Clean Tears is primarily responsible for my exposure to Yukari. My first ever Vocaloid CD, Night Groove, contains the excellent "Do it!" original mix using her as vocals, and he does a damn fine job using her too. In some respects, she sounds like a much softer and cleaner MEIKO, without any of the jarring factor at higher pitches (Stay with Me! from PDF is an example of MEIKO I can't stand).

Hatsune Miku: There is something to be said about how a single character can gain such a following, and regardless of what many think, there wouldn't be some of the standout classics in Vocaloid that exist today without her.

With all this said though...
    Quoted for truth. For the longest time, I thought KAITO was just a sorry excuse for a Vocaloid. Then, after hearing "しゃぼんのサラマンドラ" (shabon no saramandora) from ぶっちぎりP on EXIT TUNES's Vocalosensation, my opinion was forever changed. Those that say VOCALOID is more like an instrument are spot on; it all boils down to how skilled and accustomed the user is with each vocicebank.

8. Daverost

Daverost Pro Player

I still say the original Gumi is the most natural-sounding of the V2 Vocaloids by a longshot. Her quality still holds up today. Heck, there were demo songs that sound more natural than pretty much anything out there now after the V3s.

I honestly still feel this way. I hate the original Kaito. His V3 is fantastic, though, as long as they don't use Straight. It's supposed to be a clearer version of the original, but I think it sounds just as bad. It sounds so fake and artificial to me. Very tinny. The other ones sound really good, though, especially Soft and English.

I had similar feelings with Gackpo. Didn't like his original (but I didn't hate it like I did Kaito's) but his V3 was incredible and really brought in a very natural sound.

I think my problem is that it's easier for me to pick out the unnatural sounds in a lower pitch, so that kind of thing stands out more in male Vocaloids. I imagine that's a common problem.

Shadowjake likes this.
  9. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I feel the same way with Meiko. Besides the Birthday Song by Mitchie M, I have not yet found a song that actually gives her a semblance of a realistic feel. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I don't like a number of her songs. I think what writers have realized is that, for the most part, her voice is simply not going to sound as realistic as many of the other Vocaloids, so they just roll with it, playing on that synthetic sound to its advantage. I think that approach is generally the strongest for the weaker of the Vocaloids, like Kaito. When the writer writes the song to sound synthetic (like Miku's Last Night, Good Night), it doesn't sound like it failed to do its job, it actually sounds better (I think).

10. Dyspnia

University Student
    I know I'm just gonna state the obvious, but it's mostly because she's a V1 Vocaloid. Once she gets her V3, hopefully she'll be on par with the other Vocaloids. It happened to the Engloids pretty well so we can look forward to her V3 with high hopes. (I can't understand a V1 engloid's song at all without looking at the lyrics, but now I can listen to some of the V3s without them ^^) I don't think it really matters whether or not we have ENTIRELY realistic sounding Vocaloids, like what you said Japes. Tbh, some Vocaloids like MEIKO have sounded realistic from the start, some of my non-japanese-fanatic friends have listened to a couple of the MEIKO songs I have on my iPod and when I told them she basically isn't a real person singing, they didn't understand and would tell me that "you're jokin or somethin."

I kinda find it ironic that MEIKO was the first Crypton to start it all, but now she's the least favorite of the group.
    [​IMG]

11. MadHatter138

MadHatter138 Big Debut

I sort of want to say that Luka's my favorite, since her voice can sound really beautiful and all, but, her lack of appends or any recent updates sort of upsets me, fortunately, on the Crypton website it says that they plan on making a V3 for her as well as Rin and Len (finally!!!)

http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/lukav3.jsp

But, I'm going to go with Len because I can't help but love every single one of his append voice-banks and I rarely ever have any complaints about him. And, considering "Spice!" was the song that introduced me to vocaloid (that, and Love is War) I can't help but take favoritism towards him. And, it certainly helps that my favorite producer is neru and he writes songs mostly for Rin and Len more than anybody else (I think "Life Prolonging Treatment" by IA is the only song he wrote for a vocaloid other than Rin or Len).

Recently though, I'm wavering towards MEIKO...her V3 voice-bank is showing some really great potential and I can't wait to hear more songs for her new voice-bank! Ah, this question kills me sometimes! There are so many great vocaloids and songs out there! I'm always changing my mind!

Edit: Oh...wow, I didn't realize how old this post was until after posting it...oops~

12. Dyspnia

University Student
    No worries, any answer, no matter the date, is interesting to read!

13. pixivfan

pixivfan Welcome to DIVA!

My favorite is Rin, because she's cute as always. I love the song Promise with her and Miku singing.

Shadowjake likes this.
  14. Erina

Erina Welcome to DIVA!

My favorite still has to be Miku in the end, although I really do like IA's voice (it sounds so realistic to me, and fits in with a lot of songs...especially the ones from Kagerou Project ^^)

Miku's the first vocaloid that I ever listened to, so that gains her special respect for me. She's sung many songs, and her voice has definitely grown on me.

But honestly, it's less the vocaloid and more the producer/artist itself that's important.

15. tinabelcher

tinabelcher Welcome to DIVA!

I could never choose between Iroha and Miku. I say Iroha because she has many interesting designs. Her voice is beautiful, and she's adorable. * v * And Miku because she was the first Vocaloid I ever found, and I still think she's just the cutest one there is!

16. stratoside

stratoside Advanced Player

miku, all versions including append
    reasons:
    1. i like her vocal sound
    2. she was the first vocaloid that I heard(knowingly at least)
    3. has a lot of songs i like (favorite being odds and ends)

17. Dawn111

Dawn111 Big Debut

Home Page:
    http://dennyvuquach.webs.com
    I choose either Luka or Miku. I really like alot of their songs, and Magnet is such a great song to me.

18. Silaris Alpha

Silaris Alpha Big Debut

Me too and because my followers give me this name...

19. Rinandlen4lyfe

Rinandlen4lyfe Newbie Player

Student, Kagamine addict
    Having a difficult time choosing between Rin and Len but I have to go with Rin.
    I love Rin for so many reasons, her voice, her design, and the producers.
    I especially love Neru because he makes Rin sound like such a rock star!
    I also like mothy and a million others too.

20. Shadowjake

Shadowjake Welcome to DIVA!

Home Page:
    https://www.deviantart.com/shadowjake159
    Gumi because of her voice and also has good duet with Miku(matryoshka) and Luka(happy synthesizer).