1. Hello Guest! Looking for Mods or help with Modding Mega Mix+ or Arcade Future Tone? There's a Discord for that: https://discord.gg/cvBVGDZ.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Good Rhythm Games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Dyspnia, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Dyspnia

Dyspnia Retired cDLC Creator

University Student
    Being a forum for a rhythm game series, are there any other RGs / RG Series you guys enjoy?

My favorites are PaRappa the Rapper (even though it's a little broken), Space Channel 5 (GOD, I WANT A 3RD ALREADY), and Dance Central (I love me some English/American music too). Osu's is nice too. I've never really been a fan of things like DDR (I can't play past easy TT^TT) and Just Dance though (for a full body dance game, I like moves I could use in real life).

That's me, what games do you like and why?

2. Japes

Japes Advanced Player

I actually don't generally like rhythm games (I absolutely hate DDR and I'm not a fan of Osu), but I just played Taiko Master for the first time last week and it was a blast! (It reminds me a lot of Donkey Konga, which is another game I surprisingly liked quite a lot). Project Diva is definitely my favorite by a wide margin, though.

3. Darksidehearts

Darksidehearts A calm state of mind is proof of skill and mastery
    Staff Member

Assistant Psychology Prof. at USF
    Ha, someone else who likes Space Channel 5, never thought I'd see the day. I remember being made fun of for buying it because it was regarded so poorly where I lived, so much that they reduced the price to $5 a week after the game came out. I loved playing that game on my Dreamcast, it was a unique game and I never recalled seeing anything like it at the time...the controller was not made for it at all but it was fun nonetheless. My friend came over and ruined it by using the autoplay code, needless to say, I didn't invite him to my house when I imported Part 2 years later XD

I used to enjoy DDR a bit back when I was younger but I've been a heavy guy for a long time and when I was my worst was when it was a big craze in the arcades. Sadly I could never really enjoy the game as much as others because I couldn't move around that well, but I remember going to the arcade with a couple of friends on a Saturday and we'd make a whole day out of being at the mall, we'd always end our day playing it at least once...god we were horrible at it. Hmm...I've lost quite a bit of weight since those days, so maybe I could actually play it again. Though, a game like that is really much better if you play it with others more than just yourself, we have no arcades around here anymore except for Dave & Busters at the Providence Place Mall but I don't think they have any DDR machines.

One game I used to play constantly that nobody I knew ever played was Frequency for the Playstation 2. I loved that game and played it for hours on end whenever I came home from school. I like rhythm based games mostly because I like anything that gives you a challenge. Many games are fun but you can give me something that forces me to improve my skills and focus any day!

4. Dyspnia

University Student
    I wish I had a Dreamcast TT_TT but I ended up discovering SC5 when my sister got the Dreamcast collection and never played it, so I did. I can't stop playing it, no matter how many times I've beaten Purge. I used the AutoPlay code twice, one for Ulala's Dance mode to get all the outfits, and another time through story mode to see what the heck secrets where cause I kept getting 0%. Anyway, it's nice to find another fan of the series!
    Btw, I freaked out when I was playing PD 2nd and found out through playing that there's a Channel 5 outfit!
    I loved it so much that I eventually made an outfit for my favorite Vocaloid of my favorite character!

5. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Right, I forgot they remade it for the Dreamcast collection. I think it also came out on the PS2 when the Dreamcast ended it's production because if you want Part 2 on the DC you need to import it, though I'm sure like with Shenmue II, someone has replaced the audio files with the English ones so you can burn a modified copy of the game for playing it on the Dreamcast. Same here, I saw a video of Ulala's costume on Miku thought it was a custom mod or something until I played the game and unlocked it and was like WHAA?!?! There is a video on youtube where someone made an edit with her dancing to the main theme, they imported it to DT2nd. I'm still looking for it XD

I was so glad they threw that in as a nice little treat for those fans of Space Channel 5 ^_^

Now I remember they talked about a third game at one point a few years back but nothing ever moved on it. Also now since Michael Jackson passed away, it might be hard to do I imagine. Space Michael was an interesting character indeed, I don't know if you could make it without him appearing at least once. It would be great to see another entry, maybe something with the kinect where you can move to the beat this time around, on the plus side at least Ulala and Pudding are making cameos in other games still today, so the interest isn't completely gone. ...well for Ulala...I don't really know who would be a fan of Pudding...but then again that's just my opinion :P

6. Dyspnia

University Student
    I would watch Pudding's report on Channel 42...xD

7. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

Fair enough, to each their own I suppose :P

8. Maakun

Maakun Intermediate Player

Technical Support Representative
    Konami makes a TON of Bemani games you can look in to

Bemani Arcades:
    Guitar Freaks/Guitar Freaks XG
    Drummania/Drummania XG
    Keyboardmania (discontinued in 2003)
    Para Para Paradise (discontinued in 2000)
    Beatmania/Beatmania DX
    Pop'n Music
    Dance Dance Revolution

Other Arcades:
    Taiko no Tatsujin
    Rhythm Tengoku
    DJ Max
    Pump It Up

DS:
    Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
    Moero! Nekkestu Rizumu Damashii!
    Rhythm Tengoku Gold
    Utacchi (Pop'n Music DS)
    4x Taiko no Tatsujin

Wii:
    Minna no Rhythm Tengoku
    5x Taiko no Tatsujin
    Pop'n Music Wii (avoid this like the plague)

PS:
    Bust a Move/Bust a Move 2

god...there are too many to name but there is a few...
    Drummania and Pop'n Music are easy to find in Japan, especially if you goto Akihabara. WIthin NA, I guess it depends where you live. Almost all of these have PC versions I would believe, but I never play them on PC so I'm not 100% sure.

9. Darksidehearts

Staff Member

That's the great thing for this type of genre, there is something for everyone on practically everything ^_^

10. scarf

scarf Intermediate Player

I've been really enjoying Theatrhythm Final Fantasy recently. The characters are so cute and it can get quite challenging on the harder difficulties. The music is really beautiful as well.

CapitalHat likes this.
  11. djkn

djkn Welcome to DIVA!

I generally play Beatmania IIDX with some Project Diva for on-the-go rhythm fun, but lately I've stumbled across a newish rhythm game from Konami, Sound Voltex. It kind of looks like the love child of Beatmania and Audiosurf. Here's a video of someone playing Butterfly Cat by daniwell (of Nekomimi Switch and Nyanyanya[...] fame in Project Diva) in SDVX.

Looks pretty neat, but kind of weird at the same time.

12. Djaga

Djaga Intermediate Player

Physics teacher / Geophysics university student
    Super Dancer Online (I have 3 clients, with Malaysian as a main client) / O2Jam (sometimes) / DJMax (sometimes...)

I played Stepmania a lot, but i changed to SDO (because it's more difficult).

I've used to play Pump it Up too, but now i play when i miss it, or rather, sometimes.

I'm used to play Taiko no Tatsujin too, but i don't play anymore :(

Ah, i remembered, i play Cytus too, in Android OS. Someone who plays, share with me :)

@djkn: did you know there is a Sound Voltex emulator for PC? It's beta although, but i hope that developing more and more, being that i'm seeing some Sound Voltex arcades custom-mades with much quality...

13. TJD_DANCER

TJD_DANCER Mahou Shoujo

College Student
    There's a game I play called Osu! and you can download it for free.

14. Walter-kun

Walter-kun Trophy Hunter Extraordinaire

DJ MAX Technika Tune (Vita)

It's one of those touch-screen rhythm games, but it's the best I've played yet. It also uses the rear touch pad in what is likely the best use of it I've ever seen, though the rear notes can also be played via touch screen by switching an option, though the game isn't nearly as portable that way since you'll essentially need both hands for higher difficulties at that point.

It's got some grindy trophies and some hard trophies for anyone who cares, but it's a damn enjoyable ride the whole way through (except for the 99999 Combo though; that can go to hell).

There's also Superbeat Xonic from the same developer, though I haven't played that nearly as much, so I can't really say much about it.

15. Ashley

Ashley Welcome to DIVA!

#15 Ashley, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Give BeatMania IIDX a go or Osu! Mania. Could also try GuitarHero or PhaseShift for PC, if you're interested in vocaloid/japanese songs then Phase Shift has a project going for those songs.

16. MikuHatsune

MikuHatsune ProjectDIVA.Wiki Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Home Page:
    https://www.projectdiva.wiki
    Melody's Escape on Steam is a pretty neat rhythm game which let's you play your own mp3 songs as some kind of "Trip.Beat Runner" like game. It also has a lot of Vocaloid skins and other anime characters. The Community Workshop is huge!

(The player in this video uses some kind of dark color sheme, there are also more colorful ones and even for the buttons there are also skins which represent the PS controller button colors etc.)

17. Sprites

Sprites DI(v)A de Platine

for some time i spend my time playing love live school idol festival, rythm game , idol collection , Android/ios

18. MikuHatsune

Home Page:
    omg love live, i also began to play this game just because Snow Halation. Damn you SiIvaGunner!!!

19. Sprites

Sprites DI(v)A de Platine

o_O i lost posting priviledges for a few minutes...
    snow halation is a popular song, but i don't really like that one. (plus it has that one part in expert)
    and now i have both an EN and a JP account!

20. MikuHatsune

Home Page:
    maybe Ray was tweaking some settings on the forum or could be a small bug on the software. Let me know if that happens again.

well I'm watching the account "SilvaGunner" on YouTube (parody of "GilvaSunner"). he's apparently "uploading high quality rips" from games but each of his videos is either a joke, a meme, a mashup or just literal fun (for example "Burning Town - Shantae" he uploaded was an audio file of people screaming while fire burned).
    I originally found that account when ORA posted that "Time Machine - Project DIVA F" video from him where Miku was singing the Flintstones theme (well more like Fleenstones) instead to the original bgm of Time Machine. (SiIvaGunner uses the flintstones theme a lot in his videos because it's a meme since the GRAND DAD video (Super Mario Rip Off) by Vinesauce. Later he didn't just use Flintstones anymore, he also used other memes alot and lately it's all about Snow Halation.)